Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2011 Chevy Cruze keeps throwing code p1101. It's running completely fine. No running or idol issues. I recently sprayed MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor. I only went about 8 miles on it since I sprayed it. I didn't disconnect the battery or erase the codes yet, so the engine light is still on. Will do that tomorrow. I have noticed I have a small oil leak by my oil cap. Would that create a vacuum leak and throw the code? The PCV valve seems fine as well. I'm just at a lost and don't want to start replacing a bunch of parts I don't need to and my warranty is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Lucas

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Please only create one thread on the same subject, Lucas.

Someone will get an answer to you on your concern by noon tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
How many miles on your Eco and what kind of air filter has it been running?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K&N is your problem.

They are to be avoided at all costs.

If that was the case why did it still throw code p1101 when I put the stock one back in? I've had a K&N on every vehicle I've ever owned with not one issue. There's numerous other possibilities it could be.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
P1101 - The engine control module compares actual airflow based on throttle position (TP) to a calculated airflow based on manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, and mass air flow (MAP).

The code sets if the ECM detects that the actual airflow rate is grater than the calculated airflow.

The MIL clears after 4 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostics runs and does not fail.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Check the PCV valve in the valve cover.

This code usually sets for a vacuum leak there along with P0106 and something else I can't remember right now.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
If that was the case why did it still throw code p1101 when I put the stock one back in? I've had a K&N on every vehicle I've ever owned with not one issue. There's numerous other possibilities it could be.
Because replacing the filter does not reverse the damage done by the K&N.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
After replacing the K&N with a stock filter clean the MAF and MAP sensors and put them back in. The K&N filter allows larger particles through. The stock filter allows more than sufficient air flow, even at high altitudes (>10,000 ft) for the engine so there's no performance gain here. There is a dry filter from someone that fits in the K&N filter holder that appears to work as well as the stock filter but I don't remember who.

In any case, pull the K&N while you fix this. p1011 can also point to the EGR system or the throttle body's positioning sensor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
throttle body's positioning sensor.
I would check the specs on the TPS. If it's out of spec then you will never get a clean reading for the computer. Also it's free to do with a multimeter.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I would check the specs on the TPS.
It may be worth a check, but it strikes me as unlikely since I think that's a dual control device. If the two sensors are out of agreement, it sets a code for that. However, the dual sensor would not detect a mechanical problem with the linkage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds odd, but make sure your engine oil cap is on facing the proper direction. I've heard this can throw a CEL and possibly signal vacuum leak, I was told by another member here. I have a 2011 RS and had to replace the turbo charger recently.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Sounds odd, but make sure your engine oil cap is on facing the proper direction.
Good point. Same goes for the dipstick. The engine crankcase is part of the PCV system, and a leak there is a vacuum leak.

Reactions: CruzzieQ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was going though this with my own 2011 LT. Was seeping oil the same way yours is and was throwing P1101. Turns out it was the PCV hose that runs from the manifold to the turbo. There's a check valve that is supposed to allow flow one way and it likes to fail. Just replaced it and so far so good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts