Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2011 Cruze LS, adding cruise control

224K views 366 replies 107 participants last post by  moazam91 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
has anyone been successful in adding cruise control by just buying the leather wrapped steering wheel w/ cruise control? gmpartsdirect.com is selling them for 130 bucks, and if anything you could have a leather wrapped steering wheel.

#2 ·
u need the wiring diagrams to confirm or not confirm that u can just purchase the steering wheel. i would guess that there is additional hardware required and maybe programming.

#3 ·
yeah the more i think about it, it would make no sense to be able put on the steering wheel w/ cruise control settings and be able to have it. but... what about the rostra cruise control kit, the steering wheel w/ cruise control, and the harness with cruise and audio connections? my uncle makes these cars so im gonna head up to lordstown and see if he can get me the diagrams to see if this'll work.

#4 ·
The Rostra aftermarket Cruise Control requires only 3 wires be connected. No additional programming is required. One wire goes to the Purple/Yellow Ignition Wire (Pin 5) on the Green BCM connector behind the panel on the passenger side, and ground which can be achieved by connecting to the framing of the center console. The third wire, you may have difficulty with since it requires connection to Pin 9 of the same BCM connector which on the LS model of the Cruze is Void of a pin and corresponding wire. Rostra provides the necessary "tooth" and wire to fit into that spot on the connector so you can splice on. Otherwise, you'll need to find another way to secure that wire into the corresponding pin slot.

I hard linked the installation manual for the Rostra in this thread. The kit I had originally ordered failed to provide me with that wire and I had to have it shipped separately (no charge). I just received it yesterday, so I'll link a picture of that when I have a chance.

#5 ·
FWIW, I installed my Rostra last weekend and it did come with the extra (brown) wire. However, the ECO does have the wire in pin 9 so the extra wire was not needed. One thing to pay attention to is your BCM as the picture in the Rostra instructions have the pin locations numbered backwards (mirror image) from our connector. To make sure just compare the bottom of your green connector and check pins 21 and 25 (which are stamped) with the picture in the instructions.

#6 ·
ive seen the picture of the rostra cruise control kit and from what i understand the aftermarket stalk plugs into a provided cruise control module, and the outlets on the module (the three wires you mentioned) are what plug into the bcm. if thats the case i was wondering if the steering wheel w/ cruise controls could be bought along with the different gm harness to connect to the new controls then connect that harness to the kit cruise control module then to the bcm, bypassing the need for the stalk

#8 ·
Hello all,
Fellow new Cruze owner here. Bought the Silver LS model for my wife last weekend. Only problem was the lack of cruise control, so this site has been extremely helpful in keeping me out of the potential dog house by pointing me to the Rostra kit. I went to install it yesterday and promptly ran into the problem of how to remove the steering column shroud. I can not find directions on the web anywhere for the Cruze. The instructions/video on connecting the wires to the BCM is extremely helpful, but can anyone help to shed some light on the other end of the kit, i.e. how to remove the steering wheel/Airbag/shroud, and are there any tricks needed in routing the wires from the steering column to the BCM? Thanks for any assistance.

#9 ·
i install that system on my cruze..the shroud does not come completely off...i believe one screw under column taken out and separating shroud was the way to go...inside the shroud you will see a styrofoam padding...i careful drilled the hole closer to the wheel side of shroud where to foam as not placed....using the lock washers and small fingers i was able to twist the unit into place holing nut in place in shroud...took me 90 minutes from start to finish....was well worth it...JCR

#10 ·
That bottom shroud actually has 3 screws (the one you mention plus 2 that are behind the steering wheel). They are at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions and the only way you can get to them is by turning the steering wheel to the sides. It probably took me longer to figure that out then it did to install the control. :eek:

#11 ·
I had one installed 2 days ago on my LS with a 6 speed. Rostra sells a cruise control unit that plugs into the wiring harness and works with the already installed electronics. The part number is 250-9003. It works great and only cost $200. I had it installed at a custom shop for $250. The only downside is where it is mounted. it is hard to see because of the Steering Wheel. Once it is on it works with the electronic displays in the dash to let you know what the cruise is set at. It just won't tell you if it is engaged or the unit is on. I am happy with it works like any other cruise except for the on off indicators.

#15 · (Edited)
Like others say, there are probably a couple of wires, to the bcm, but like you I would like to have it on the steering wheel myself, I know it is nitpicky, just a personal preference. My other car had it on the steering wheel instead of the stalk. If it does work with the steering wheel and not to pricey, I will do that , but If it comes up to be way overpriced I will probably go with the Rostra.

What was the part number for the steering wheel on gmpartsdirect?

I went on there but realized I don't have a part number.

#17 ·
230 doesn't sound too bad for the install I mean, if your not going to DIY it's not too bad. That's cool.

#18 ·
I stopped by the dealership today to see if they could install the steering wheel with the cruise control on it, and they said they would call me back to let me know, and they haven't called yet might go back there again tomorrow to check and see what they say.

#19 ·
Finally got the call, and they claim they can't install it, on the car, if I can find a replacement wheel with it already on their I will probably install it myself.

#21 ·
Yeah I been talking with my dealership here and they are no help. I might have to go to a different one outside the area to see if they will help out.

#22 ·
Too bad this is in Korean , I found it , the installation is easy enough, just don't know about ordering the part or if it will work with the american spec'd cars. Right click link and open in new window to see the page.. sometimes reloading it twice makes the photos visible by right clicking and opening in new window again.

Google Translate

#23 ·
I installed the Rostra Cruise control last week and have had a week of use. As previously posted it is recognized immediately so there is no programming. One big plus is that I got about 3 mpg boost on my 60 mile commute to work. (I was averaging about 34 and now am up to 37 hw)

As far as replacing the steering wheel goes- I would not go this route as I have replaced steering wheels in the past. (at least on other cars) Keep in mind that the wiring from the steering wheel extends only to the base of the steering wheel. At which point, wires connect to a swivel style contact plate. (if wires ran all the way through, they would bind and break off). In order for a CC capable steering wheel to function, the contact plate would have to contain connections for the CC as well as the continued wiring. Again, I don't know if this is there or not, and the only practical way to know is to actually exchange the steering wheel with another. I just don't want to pay the dealer costs to experiment.

#24 ·
Dear All, I have a 2009 Cruze 2.0 LS AND HAVE INSTALLED THIS KIT BUT UNFOTUNATELY IT DOES NOT WORK.

I am now trying to find a wiring diagrasm to see what is different between the 2009 and 2011 models. The wire coding was sxactly as discribed in the Wbsite for the 250-9003.
PS this is a UK model 2.O LS.

#25 ·
Has anyone else installed the Rostra Cruise Control? I just ordered it (159 delivered) and will be installing next week. Looking for advice.

Had to get the car without to get the color I wanted, figured it was easier to instal the criuse than to re-paint. HAHA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.