Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2011 Cruze LT: Heating/Vents & funny noises in dash

6674 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Chevy Customer Care
Hello,

I have a 2011 Cruze LT with 47,600 miles on it. This morning the vents w/only blow out very cold air, even though the car was fully warmed up & had been running for about 20 minutes. It then slowly started w/warm air & then went straight to very hot air. My windows started to fog, so I went to turn on the defrost & it doesn't work. The only place any air blows out is the vents that blow on you directly. I have noticed funny noises in my dash for awhile now, but only when I w/first start the car & then briefly when I w/turn off the car. However, this morning it went on for several minutes after the car had been running for almost 20 minutes. Not happy at all! :angry:

Thank you,
Gina K
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Have you tried shutting down the heater and fan then re-starting it? Did you also try to have the system cycle through all the settings for the blend door? Sometimes the system takes several seconds to respond to a command, so try waiting for 10 seconds on each setting while cycling through all the settings.

Also, have you replaced the cabin filter recently? At 47k miles, it's due to be replaced.

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
lol - I have no idea on how to do any of that. Can you explain? :question:
Turn the fan knob all the way to the left. Leave it for 5 seconds. Then turn it to setting 2. Wait another 5 seconds. Press the air direction selection buttons one by one, waiting for 5-10 seconds after pressing each button. Make sure the air is blowing out where it's supposed to be blowing out.

After doing that, turn the temperature knob to full cold (all the way to the left), and leave it for 10 seconds. It should be blowing cold air. Then turn it to full hot (all the way to the right). It should blow warm air.

Doing that will cycle the system through all the settings it has, and should let it clear out things.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Concerned a tad about this too, but not losing sleep over it. Soft touch controls that fire commands to the BCM, that in turn spin electric motors to position the mode, blend, and recir doors.

In cold weather, moisture freezes, put frost on those doors and can jam or partially jammed. Looked over the circuits for current limit control for additional protection, but they don't show that, just see empty blocks instead of real circuitry. A jammed motor is like a short circuit that can either burn out the motor all the electronics that drive it, or both. Just wonder what kid designed this, but not about to pull the entire system apart to conduct tests.

So what I do, is when parking at night, switch the temperature control to maximum, mode control to defrost, recir door to closed, and the blower switch to off. That is where the motors stay, no vacuum in these things. When vacuum was used, didn't make any difference, nothing burns up.

Then after the car is warmed, about a quarter on the temp gauge, then switch on the blower, all should be melted by then. Frost can also build on the blower motor shaft jamming that armature. And the Cruze uses a power Mosfet 120 buck module for that. Really don't know about its protection either. Main reason for going to recir mode and leaving that blower switch off.

How come they don't put this stuff in the owners' manual?

Just cracking the drivers' window down about an inch keeps the windows fog free until the car warms up, so far, this hasn't killed me. The major culprit for fogging up windows is us, another solution is to hold your breathe until the car warms up.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2011 Cruze LT with 47,600 miles on it. This morning the vents w/only blow out very cold air, even though the car was fully warmed up & had been running for about 20 minutes. It then slowly started w/warm air & then went straight to very hot air. My windows started to fog, so I went to turn on the defrost & it doesn't work. The only place any air blows out is the vents that blow on you directly. I have noticed funny noises in my dash for awhile now, but only when I w/first start the car & then briefly when I w/turn off the car. However, this morning it went on for several minutes after the car had been running for almost 20 minutes. Not happy at all! :angry:

Thank you,
Gina K

Gina,
If you are still experiencing this issue I would recommend that you contact your dealer and have them look into this for you. Please keep me posted on this and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.