Try this.....a reboot of sorts.Hello all,
A few weeks ago I connected jumper cables on the wrong terminals in a rush to get to work (don’t crucify me, I feel ignorant enough). After I got my car started, I noticed that 1. The car chimes do not work. 2. The display has artifacting lines going across the screen. And 3. The radio does not work. I can navigate on the display and go into the car settings. It will scroll to different radio stations and recognize that my phone is plugged up. The volume is stuck at 50 on the display. But there is no sound at all.
I’ve read on this site that the chimes are controlled by the radio.
My main question is
Do I need to replace the display, the radio, or both?
Thanks in advance.
1. key on (not running) and radio on (should display something when on) with door open. Do not have your phone plugged into the car.
2. remove negative battery cable.......leave it in this condition for several minutes.
3. key to off (note, the key will not go to the lock position until battery power is restored.....don't freak out).
4. reconnect negative terminal.
5. start engine, let it idle for a minute or two and then try the affected accessories.
If normal operation returns you did not harm anything.......and you were lucky.....you won't make that error again.
If nothing changes, you blew its brains out and yes, the door chime is produced in the radio and sound directed to the left front door speaker.
If that is the case, I would go for the receiver first.