Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. The 2011 Cruze LT in question actually belongs to my brother, but I'm going to be replacing the turbo on it for him. He went a VERY long time without changing the oil, and now the turbo isn't engaging. Also sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket has failed.

It looks to be a fairly straightforward job; fortunately everything is right there at the front of the engine and there seems to be a lot of room to work. I was planning on ordering the replacements from parts dot com, and replacing the actuator and any associated seals and clamps while I'm in there just for good measure.

So, three questions:

1) Should I just be getting the exact same turbo, or is there an improved version that's going to compatible with this car?

2) Aside from the turbo and actuator, is there anything else you recommend changing out while I'm doing this job?

3) I'm not sure what actually caused the exhaust leak - my brother brought the car to a local mechanic who said he thought the catalytic convertor may be clogged, but he said he removed the O2 sensor and that there was no noticeable change in the running of the engine. But then again, he said he had no interest in working on the car since it had been neglected with the oil changes, so I don't know if he was just trying to get rid of my brother. Long story short, any thoughts on what could have caused the leak?

Thanks for any advice or information.

Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should have mentioned - pulled the CEL codes, and they're P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean (Bank 1) and P0299 (Turbo Underboost) The mechanic who checked the car out before me replaced the valve cover but the car hasn't been driven enough to clear any lights.

I've noticed a few posts mentioning replacing the oil feeder lines to the turbo. Should I go ahead with ordering the stock lines from parts dot com, or are there upgraded lines out there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks fairly easy but very tight behind it. Especially if you don't have the tools to get in there.

On the upgrades I can't say. I have worked on my daughter's 2011 lt 1.4. All I can say is be sure the turbo is bad. Other issues can through that code. In fact I had a lot of issues and codes from the ecm before replacing the neg battery cable and repairing some of the grounds. Even the underboost.

How bad is the oil? O2 removed why? Is that all the codes you have? How is the vaccum? Any leaks? Valve cover?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Change the oil line. The one from GM is fine. It's updated with insulation and an extra o-ring. The exhaust sound is probably the turbo drain which seems to melt when the turbo fails on these cars. Not sure if that's included with the turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1) Should I just be getting the exact same turbo, or is there an improved version that's going to compatible with this car?
Thanks for any advice or information.

Nick
Shop.badnewsracing.net and vermonttuning.com both sell aftermarket upgraded turbos. They are $$$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts