Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
130000 miles on the Cruze. Driving in wet weather and hit a pothole on the highway. A few minutes later I get Service Stabilitrak, service traction control and my ABS light on all at the same time. The nice folks at O'Reilly's scanned and I have 3 codes:
U0140 - Lost Communication With Body Control Module
C0710 - Steering Position Signal
C0050 - Right rear wheel speed sensor

Could these all be related to the wheel speed sensor or do you think I have multiple issues.

Thank you.

·
2,170 Posts
Sounds like a sensor isn't communicating with the computer correctly, and is likely the cause of all the codes. Check the rear wheel speed sensor first, just make sure the cable harness hasn't come loose then go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I check the cable harness just by getting under the car or do I need to remove the wheel? I am not familiar with wheel speed sensors. Thank you.

·
2,170 Posts
Here is a picture of what the sensor itself looks like.

http://repairpal.com/images/managed...CM_Brakes/ABS_Wheel_Speed_Sensor_06.15.11.png
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UaoS-4ITL._SX466_.jpg

You may have to follow the black wire from the sensor to find out where the harness plugs in. I couldn't find a picture of the Cruze but here is a picture of someone's SSR with a loose connection. This is the type of thing you want to visually inspect for.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/att...5762-wheel-speed-sensor-pictures-img_0872.jpg

·
2,170 Posts
Keep in mind, I am basing this completely off speculation, and you may have an actual problem. But if I got those codes, that's the first place I'd start. Make sure its plugged in. Lol

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'd start with the wheel that hit the pothole. I agree with chevrasaki that most likely you have simply jarred a wire loose. Based on your codes I suspect you hit the pothole with both wheels on one side of your car. The steering position sensor obviously only applies to the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
obermd - I believe the code says its the rear right wheel sensor, which is the side that hit. You are correct that I did smack it with both wheels on the right side. Going to check both wheels on the right side and see what we come up with. Hopefully I just have some wires loose for all of it, as I have noticed zero changes in drivability, even with the dash lights on.....

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This is one of the few failure modes where the Stabilitrac out indicator makes sense. You've lost both a steering angle sensor and a wheel spin sensor - both are needed for the Stabilitrac system to operate. As opposed to having the Stabilitrac system shutdown when you leave your gas cap off and you get a P0420 evaporative system leak.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The question is what are the status of the individual codes? There are 3 status: Pending, Current, History.

• Pending - Something has failed a test, but it hasn't failed it enough times to become a "real" code.
  • Current - what's lighting the light now.
  • History - Something that was code (perhaps a pending one), but is no longer current. It will eventually go away if the everything keeps passing the test.

The reason I say this is that the U0140 might be a pending or history code. Just something transient and not really a problem, but something that's showing up on the scanner.

The C0710 may be a sign that the sensor is getting old and starting to fail - but just not enough to set a code. Or it might be something transient from the jarring of the pothole. Hopefully it will go away on it's own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I took a look last night and couldn't see anything glaring at me that was wrong. So off to the shop we go.... Thanks for all of the input.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Let then know that all this started AFTER you put both wheels on that side through a pothole. It will give their techs a place to start.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wheels sensors have been a constant problem with ABS, on the wheel that goes up and down stressing the cable, exposed to road salt, even that toothed gear can rust over.

Good news on the Cruze, the wheel sensors are a separate entity, many vehicles had these sensors built into the hub bearings where the whole unit had to be replaced and for $$$$$$.

A 13 buck part, not too bad and today's prices. What I do is clip off that connector slide a piece of heat shrinkable tubing over it, solder the connections, coat with RTV, slide the heat shrink over it, heat it, and will last forever. Those connectors are for convenience only, its not like I am going to replace these sensors every day, or even once a year. But they sure corrode and give you a lot more problems.

Make sure that cable has enough of a loop in it, but not too much or it will snag on something.

Still say, if you are driving on poor road conditions and have to re;y on your ABS, you are driving way too fast. See other people slide right through a stop sign or red light, because they think since they have ABS, they can stop on a dime.

Stability and traction control is the same circuit as ABS, just the reverse is true, only requires more firmware.

Use to be Type A codes on these, once set, have to be reset with a scanner, least now, after the problem is corrected, those lights should go out.

C0710 is a mystery, but usually when this code is set, you lose power steering. But then if they are using a generic scanner, all kinds of weird codes come up. OBD II was suppose to be a universal standard for all vehicles, that only lasted a week. About the only thing that is standard is that diagnostic connector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.