Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Hello all,

I am back yet again w/ another pending issues thus far got a engine oil cooler issues that is being resolved this week, however I have went out to my car the other morning after a cold night nearly low 20s I started the car & I started hearing a solid knock it last around 3 to 4 mins of running time before it starts to quietens down but after it gets warmed up the car is quite as can be besides the normal 'ticking sound' that the engines are famous for doing. so this morning after another 20s cold night I got video & sound for the dealership guys to listen too but I also wanted you guys to hear for some feedback from you'll as well

I have posted a youtube view for those who want to hear this; please excuse my camera angles & shaking abit of the video as it was cold as all get out this morning but I got a over a 2min video of knocking not sure if that is normal & what I need to do & if anyone else had this issue & what they experienced & what they had the dealer to do, & information I need on warranty wise my bumper to bumper is out I am still within the powertrain warranty - got a total of 60,335 miles to be exact.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
That sounds like the top of that Block ..camshaft maybe .

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
camshaft?, I honestly thought from others sounds it might have been a piston slap as it gets smooth & no knock after it warms up, so maybe I got more issues then I want huh? Well any advise for me?

That sounds like the top of that Block ..camshaft maybe .

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
When was the last time you changed your spark plugs and gapped them ?

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't changed them yet, just now past 60,000 miles. Was planning to do them around 75,000 miles, it runs smooth no missing or anything that would indicate spark plugs causing this issue would it?. Cause it only occurs on initial start-up

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
To hard to determine the faulty part or parts from a video of the sound that engine is making for now , so further diagnosis is required by a Technician to give a better understanding of what is needed for that Engine ..

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Mines made similar sounds(though quieter since I don't open the hood) since 30K miles. I'm at 87K now and its no worse. Only when below 40F and only when the engine is cold. I guess I'm not that concerned because the 2.2 Ecotec in my cavalier sounded like a diesel on cold start with its crappy timing chain tensioner and piston slap. I'm talking about 1000X worse rattling.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 2011 sounds pretty similar, started around 25-30K (i think) hasn't really changed since then. I'm at 93K now. Having a 2001 5.3 chevy truck since new, I'm pretty used to the piston slap sound and not too worried as long as it dies off as does yours.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,459 Posts
I can't listen from here, but mine has had piston slap since last winter @ around 30K.

Pistons these days have relatively short skirts to lower frictional losses compared to past designs. Those skirts are also prone to slap against the cylinder walls as they change direction at the top and bottom of the stroke. They have a sacrificial (silicon? I forget) coating from the factory that serves to quiet them down for the first few years.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe I'm just to picky but i could never except that as normal or OK. If there's any power train warranty left I'd take it in.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that is what I am debating on actually; trying to get all sides of things here. Is it normal of course not really, will it end up causing major engine damage I don't know? Does the knock sound for nearly 5 mins bother me - somewhat. & far as warranty goes I still got 6/months left on my powertrain warranty.

I currently have the video on my phone - & I must be at the dealership this week to have my engine oil cooler replaced. Do you guys think I should show them this video? Do you think they may just say hey its normal which it isn't & I am no wiz person on cars but that isn't normal.

So suggestions?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,459 Posts
Just listened to it - I've never listened with my hood up, and we haven't really had cold weather for me to do so this year - at least nothing like last winter yet. Mine was very pronounced in under freezing temps, but becomes audible around 40F.

Yours seems to be quite a bit louder than mine. I'd say it's worth a shot at the dealer just to see what they say. If needed, leave it overnight with them for a cold start.

As mentioned in another thread, the 2011's are known for piston ringlands failing anyway, so if they replace pistons, that might be a good thing. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to keep a car that had had serious engine work done after it left the factory.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Piston slap develops over the miles.

Your vid sounds like something else is going on.
If you have ever had the plugs out...or even if you haven't, I would verify all are tight just to get that out of the thought process.
This must be done at ambient temperature......that means a cold engine if you weren't sure what I meant.
Loose plug (s) make some weird sounds that can send a mechanic in wrong directions.

If the sound is the same after checking, then my first thought is a lazy cam chain tensioner.
This is oil pressure driven and often, depending on what point the engine stops at, the tensioner will retract due to the chain tension from a cam being pushed by a valve spring.
The retraction is not uncommon but it should tension the chain immediatly at start up......sometimes you can hear a momentary 'rap' but it is gone in less than a second.

BTW......check your oil level.....low oil will make a tensioner lazy as well.

Bout all I can offer from a sound bite.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oil level is *maybe* half of a quart low which I have tapped back off due to a slow leak due to engine oil cooler. So oil is good far as that goes, but hey I am gonna let them hear the video & sound, do you think that might prompt them to look further into this w/o having to leave my car overnight, they must replace the engine oil cooler so don't you think it would be ideal to check that while its apart to do that ?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
They will have to actually hear it for themselves so the car does have a overnight stay in its future.......maybe several days if they feel it is a internal concern.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will they supply me a rental or maybe not because it wouldn't be considered "powertrain warranty" until they figure it out am I correct?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Will they supply me a rental or maybe not because it wouldn't be considered "powertrain warranty" until they figure it out am I correct?
Unable to answer......seems some dealer descretion is involved regarding loaners......assuming you won't have a age issue (too young) they may give you something right away or if they are out of cars, they may look into a rental.....like Enterprise.

Rob

·
Registered
280 Posts
This could be a oil viscosity thing, OP may need to run some of that 0W-20W, my 3.3 minivan engine would do this with the WRONG viscosity oil in it, some engines drain down so much you get to hear the piston skirt slap at start up, the thin oil helps this

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Well I took my car in yesterday to have the engine oil cooler replaced - & let them listen to that knock sound/video. Well then couple hours later while sitting there, the service guy comes in & says well your car won't be ready today nor tomorrow & it should be ready monday maybe questionable it seems from his tone.

So I am a just waiting; once I hear something more I'll update everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Update: Well I took my car in yesterday to have the engine oil cooler replaced - & let them listen to that knock sound/video. Well then couple hours later while sitting there, the service guy comes in & says well your car won't be ready today nor tomorrow & it should be ready monday maybe questionable it seems from his tone.

So I am a just waiting; once I hear something more I'll update everyone.
I know to you this is a pain but in actuality it is good news......they heard it and it is causing concern at their end.....enough to call for more diagnosis.

Keep the reports coming.

Rob

1 - 20 of 50 Posts