Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Cruze LS, 1.8L, 45K miles, bought it new. I don’t know much about cars so I’m hoping someone can help me out.

I’ve been coming across information that the Cruze, particularly the 2011, isn’t a very reliable car and it’s made me a bit paranoid. I haven’t had any major problems yet but I’m thinking I’ve been lucky because of low mileage use during the first few years.

What I’d like to ask is what service do you all recommend be done in order to keep my car in good shape? I’d like to keep it for years to come because it’s been great so far. I did look up my VIN and it’s telling me I have “0 unrepaired recalls” even though there have been numerous recalls reported for the 2011.

I’ve only ever gotten regular oil changes at the dealership. They've recommended all kinds of stuff last time but I can’t help but think that they just want my money. Should I service everything or do you all have something specific to recommend? Should I take it to another shop for more affordable service?

I’d really appreciate any advice! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
A lot, if not all the recalls were on the Cruze with the 1.4T engine and not on the 1.8L engine.

At that mileage most likely coolant and transmission fluid should be changed. Especially considering your car is 8-9 years old depending when built. As well timing belt should be coming up soon. I think the service interval is 100,000 miles. I'm not sure if there is a time bases for this. Personally I wouldn't want to go 10 years on one but that's entirely a personal opinion.

You say they recommend a bunch of services. What services did they recommend? I can't say they're a scam or a money grab without knowing what was recommended.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I agree with the above. Don't forget to do the oil changes. As I recall, the 2011 had a overly optimistic oil life calculation. Later updates fixed that, but it's hard telling if you got those. You should probably change it before it gets to 0%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot, if not all the recalls were on the Cruze with the 1.4T engine and not on the 1.8L engine.

At that mileage most likely coolant and transmission fluid should be changed. Especially considering your car is 8-9 years old depending when built. As well timing belt should be coming up soon. I think the service interval is 100,000 miles. I'm not sure if there is a time bases for this. Personally I wouldn't want to go 10 years on one but that's entirely a personal opinion.

You say they recommend a bunch of services. What services did they recommend? I can't say they're a scam or a money grab without knowing what was recommended.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I wish I could remember everything they recommended, they had a whole list for different mileage intervals and they told me to replace a few things that turned out to total a few hundred dollars. I know one of the things mentioned was replacing the cabin air filter. Should I let the dealership do that as well? Or was that something I should have done long ago? Lol.

Thanks for your input though! I'm definitely going to follow through with what you said. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things so I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the above. Don't forget to do the oil changes. As I recall, the 2011 had a overly optimistic oil life calculation. Later updates fixed that, but it's hard telling if you got those. You should probably change it before it gets to 0%.
Oh wow! I had no clue, good info to know! Is that something that I can get fixed or should I just be careful to not get under a certain percentage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts