Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking to trade in an 06 fusion lately and it looks like ill be picking up a 2011 cruz eco manual in a couple days. The car only has 36K on it. Looks like the engine was rebuilt under warranty last year, sooooo Im not really all that knowledgeable about engines or turbos so I figure I should read up on the subject and see what i am getting myself into? Its a cool car by the way its got a neat little short shift deal, but drum brakes in the back? kinda weird

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
2011s were known to have piston ring failures due to a flawed design. Probably had a piston or two replaced with updated ones.

Check out other service history on the car as well, but a manual one is definitely the way to go.

And yeah, quite a few cheaper cars have drums these days - the Focus and early Escapes included

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Adjust those rear drums and the car will stop just fine. I know a lot of car nuts dislike drums but they do work on the ECO MT. I know, I've had to emergency brake and steer at the same time in my 2012 ECO MT and the car stopped and tracked exactly as I told it to.

Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
2,168 Posts
My brother has a 2011 Eco manual in that ice blue metallic. He's not very interested in cars, and just changes the oil and puts gas in it. It's currently got 45K miles with no issues other than a self-inflicted tire wound. (The Eco does NOT come with a spare tire by the way) Since he managed to put a gash in the sidewall it rendered the inflator kit useless and the car had to be towed.

Great car with AMAZING gas mileage other than that. The 1.4L turbo does prefer 91+ octane fuel but isn't required. I figure since I get better gas mileage using 93 premium and it already gets such good mileage, it's worth the slight extra cost. As mentioned above, the 2011 model year does have a few known issues. I see you mentioned the engine was already rebuilt at 36K which, for me at least, is a red flag. Probably just means the car had issues that were addressed but still, at 36K miles I'd prefer my vehicle to have had no issues. I would personally try and find a different Cruze, preferably with a clean history and full service records unless it's a really good deal. But that's just me.

Good luck with your decision! Here's a picture of our two Cruzes next to my mother's 200S.
20160327_152443[1].jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses and glad to see this forum is pretty active. The description of the repair was oil was found all over everything and the engine had new gaskets and coolant system replaced and pistons too. Ive also been hearing about a sudden lack of power, that seems to be caused by the turbo seizing when it doesnt get a regular oil change? Ill search the forum to find out some of the known issues.
thanks all,
timos

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
picking this car up tonight. Going to crank the heat and see if it gets smelly or not. I am working on getting a better description of what exactly was done to the engine last year. I noticed some people have have a piston need to be replaced more than once. So you mean they dont just re do them all when they are known to be bad? HMmm, thats a major cause for concern for me. I dont know much but one thing Ive learned to do: always check the glove box for past service records when you are buying a used car! Is there any kinda test that could be done to evaluate the shape of the pistons at this point?

·
2,168 Posts
picking this car up tonight. Going to crank the heat and see if it gets smelly or not. I am working on getting a better description of what exactly was done to the engine last year. I noticed some people have have a piston need to be replaced more than once. So you mean they dont just re do them all when they are known to be bad? HMmm, thats a major cause for concern for me. I dont know much but one thing Ive learned to do: always check the glove box for past service records when you are buying a used car! Is there any kinda test that could be done to evaluate the shape of the pistons at this point?
You could do a compression test, but not sure if the salesman would be too keen on you pulling spark plugs out haha.

·
17,202 Posts
Not really - you could do a compression test, but probably won't tell you anything until the piston actually breaks.

Yeah, they'll only replace the broken ones under warranty. Some, although very few, have had to go back when it happens later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up the cruz last night! It is white btw with black interior. Previous owner has some privacy tint on the windows and a tip on the exhaust, well it sounds cooler than my 2014 kia forte thats for sure.

This is my wifes new car BTW and we were driving it home and engine light comes on! woohoo, lol. 1101 code and the bro in law says he doesnt think the turbo is spooling. OK, sooo new pcv valve and valve cover are in order? Ill look into it and just want to make sure my dealer does the right repair for this.

·
17,202 Posts
Yeah probably PCV valve. There's a tube that connects to the top of the intake manifold at the back of the motor. Take it off and make sure that you can see the little orange check valve inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts