Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago bumper removed and my 2011 eco threw the engine code for fuel pump control module. I replaced with a non eco module, problem solved. Now am getting the codes listed above in that order. With these code combinations, does it still sound like a bad valve cover? It must be related to the first issue I would think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
P0171 is a vacuum leak (Bank 1 Lean) and is almost always a failed PCV valve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought my 2014 LS (48.8 K miles) in to get an intermittent check engine light problem addressed. The light didn't happen to be on when I arrived for my appointment at the dealership. They checked for a problem code and got P0171. About 3 hours later, I picked up the car after they fixed the problem, checked the tire pressures, and washed the car. The problem was "camshaft cover fail (leaking)" They replaced the camshaft cover, cleared or checked for a clear code and that was that. No charge because of my warranty. Overall, not a bad experience. I wonder if the camshaft cover is the same as a valve cover and how often a leak problem occurs with this cover.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
I brought my 2014 LS (48.8 K miles) in to get an intermittent check engine light problem addressed. The light didn't happen to be on when I arrived for my appointment at the dealership. They checked for a problem code and got P0171. About 3 hours later, I picked up the car after they fixed the problem, checked the tire pressures, and washed the car. The problem was "camshaft cover fail (leaking)" They replaced the camshaft cover, cleared or checked for a clear code and that was that. No charge because of my warranty. Overall, not a bad experience. I wonder if the camshaft cover is the same as a valve cover and how often a leak problem occurs with this cover.
Short answer - yes. Long answer - our PCV valve is integrated with the cam shaft cover so the service ticket will read as "camshaft cover failure".

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Several different circuits in an automotive engine, fuel, air, oil, coolant, combustion, intake, and exhaust, all living together but must be isolated from each other.

Positive crankcase ventilation deals with where ever the oil goes inside of the engine. Job is to take piston ring blowby and return it back to the combustion chamber of the engine so it goes out the catalytic converter, use to have an open breather pipe for this. Its also monitored by a pressure sensor, must show about 20"/Hg vacuum at sea level, if lower, will trigger a code, how much lower? Classified information, shop manual doesn't say.

In brief, anywhere there is engine oil, there can also be an air leak that will lower this vacuum to trigger a code, also reasons why you can find oil entering the turbo, because this is where the PCV return, not particularly fussy what that vacuum pulls.

PVC hose is made of cheap corrugated plastic, but sure can't tell this by the replacement cost. One some crack in that hose will cause a leak, can also be electrical problems with that pressure sensor, but just that P0171 code says its a leak. Others indicate other problems. Most common is the engine oil cap not being tight or the dipstick on fully inserted.

Other codes require more testing, hopefully with someone with brains. Just tell you there is a problem and possibilities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts