Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I came on here to post. My Cruze is now at 125,000 miles, been a good car so far, feel like we really connect and I know her well.

I've been taking good care of her, general as well as preventive maintenance. At about 100k I successfully replaced the timing belt and water pump and she's been running strong. Lately however things have not been all that great, I am having an issue with the coolant system running cold at highway speeds although I recently replaced the thermostat due to a P0128 and now shes leaking trans fluid and engine oil :(

The coolant problem I am pretty sure is due to the fact I did not flush and replace the coolant properly, will do that sometime this week. My biggest concern is the leaking fluids.

I opened the hood today to check my oil and noticed I am half empty, its all over the bottom of the pan (will need to top off). Then I noticed wetness all over the driver side skid plate area. After further inspection and collecting a small sample, I realized it was pink in color and oily, I figured its transmission oil. Checking from top to bottom I tried to locate where it might be coming from, its hard to tell exactly but the top most part where its all oily is the bottom most trans coolant line.

Any thoughts?

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,867 Posts
Cooler lines are a very common leak point.

Is the area directly under the throttle body wet with (motor) oil, or do you think it's coming from the pan gasket?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does it smell sweet, like coolant?

Did you change your transmission oil at the recommended 45/90k Miles intervals? (50/100ks if you live up north, and drive your cruze more gently)?
My car went in for warranty repair at 95k when my transmission went out, wouldn't shift gears (it's auto btw), they fixed the problem and flushed the oil. I live in southern California so it doesn't get all that cold here, however I do not drive my car gently.

Cooler lines are a very common leak point.

Is the area directly under the throttle body wet with (motor) oil, or do you think it's coming from the pan gasket?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I am pretty sure now it's coming from cooler lines, I wiped the lines clean with a shop rag and inspect it again today and sure enough a pink glob has formed on the lines. New trans cooler lines are on the way, just wondering if I can replace then without removing the engine mount and coolant hoses.

I have yet to figure out where the engine oil leak is coming from. But it does appear to have an oil leak under the throttle body and alternator area.

Attachments

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,867 Posts
But it does appear to have an oil leak under the throttle body and alternator area.
Both spots?

Cam seals are probably the culprit by the alternator; throttle body (and cam seals too, actually) would be a result of the PCV system check valve in the intake manifold failing.

Go look for the orange check valve in the intake manifold. It's probably gone missing:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...011-2016-cruze-1-4l-pcv-system-explained.html

If so, XtremeRevolution sells a kit to retrofit the check valve without replacing the whole stupid intake manifold.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both spots?

Cam seals are probably the culprit by the alternator; throttle body (and cam seals too, actually) would be a result of the PCV system check valve in the intake manifold failing.

Go look for the orange check valve in the intake manifold. It's probably gone missing:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...011-2016-cruze-1-4l-pcv-system-explained.html

If so, XtremeRevolution sells a kit to retrofit the check valve without replacing the whole stupid intake manifold.
My Cruze is in fact a 1.8L so no check valve worries, however I did replace the Valve cover twice. Today I went to town and started to take everything off until I found the leak. I have yet to get behind the timing belt as I need a tool to hold cams in place while I pull the sprockets. What I did notice is a coolant leak from the water pump, I can see white residue on the black plastic. I also noticed oil in places around it, even on the timing belt pulley (not the tensioner, just the pulley). Other than that inside the timing belt cover everything is pretty dry.

If the leak is coming from the cam seals I'll be a happy man and just replace them. I am hoping its not the oil pump assembly which is like the whole right side of the engine on the 1.8L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.