Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - Need some help ASAP please.

We need to replace our 2011 2LT RS as someone ran a red light in front of my wife and made the car much shorter than it's supposed to be :( ... 40MPH to a dead stop and everyone walked away ... at least to the ambulances.

Do the 2012's, 13's and 14's have the same shifting/hesitation/bogging down issues that the 2011 has? This was really our only complaint with the car and since it did so well at protecting my wife, I want another one (though it's her decision).

We had the 2LT RS and I'm looking at a 2013 LTZ (even more loaded) with 7k miles.

We have the rental until Monday (3/10) so quick responses are very much appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey all - Need some help ASAP please.

We need to replace our 2011 2LT RS as someone ran a red light in front of my wife and made the car much shorter than it's supposed to be :( ... 40MPH to a dead stop and everyone walked away ... at least to the ambulances.

Do the 2012's, 13's and 14's have the same shifting/hesitation/bogging down issues that the 2011 has? This was really our only complaint with the car and since it did so well at protecting my wife, I want another one (though it's her decision).

We had the 2LT RS and I'm looking at a 2013 LTZ (even more loaded) with 7k miles.

We have the rental until Monday (3/10) so quick responses are very much appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John
From what I understand, some of the early '12 might have had similar shifting to the '11s, but if I am remembering correctly the TCM and tranny were updated somewhere in the 2012 model year.

I too had an '11 with the clunky shifting and hesitation, and I have driven both a late build '12 and a '13 as rentals, and both were vastly improved vs. the '11.

My '14 is great, but has a totally different transmission than the gasoline models so I can't say much about the gasoline '14s, but I wouldn't imagine it is much different than the '13s.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I have never driven a 2011 automatic, but have no real complaints about my 2012 1LT auto. GM did change the final drive ratio after 2011, improving the hwy mpg rating from 36mpg to 38mpg. I have read on here they also changed the programing of transmission which helped smooth things a bit.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
Go for the 2013. The early 2012 models had a lot of stupid issues that were still being worked on (my car is good proof of this).

Avoid 2011 in its entirety.

12-13-14 were given an updated transmission and used better shift programming software. There is a HUGE difference.

Some bogging down issues (esp in summer) can be solved by swapping out the Iridium spark plugs and running high-octane fuel. When I first got my car, it tried to kill me in the middle of an intersection with the AC on several times before I discovered how to address the severe ignition retarding issue these cars have from the factory on 87 oct.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Go with the '13 ltz man.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Now all I have to do is get my wife interested in shopping for a new (to us) car when she doesn't want to. She absolutely hates car shopping and it's even worse because we have to do it NOW and not because we want to ... argh!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2013 2LT and think there is still some hesitation with the shift. I've never driven an '11 so maybe it's not as bad as I think it is.

·
10,711 Posts
Go for the 2013. The early 2012 models had a lot of stupid issues that were still being worked on (my car is good proof of this).

Avoid 2011 in its entirety.

12-13-14 were given an updated transmission and used better shift programming software. There is a HUGE difference.

Some bogging down issues (esp in summer) can be solved by swapping out the Iridium spark plugs and running high-octane fuel. When I first got my car, it tried to kill me in the middle of an intersection with the AC on several times before I discovered how to address the severe ignition retarding issue these cars have from the factory on 87 oct.
You had some issues bleed over into the 13's as well and add the fog light dealer unlock for the pre spring to spring made models.
I have a 2013 2LT and think there is still some hesitation with the shift. I've never driven an
'11 so maybe it's not as bad as I think it is.
14 auto has the hesitation as well when you punch it from a roll or in a turn but I never driven a 11 or 12 auto to compare how bad it was.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone was OK after the wreck. If you know you want another Cruze and aren't in the mood for visiting a lot of car salesmen, decide on new vs used, and then search all your area Chevrolet dealerships' inventory online and do all your negotiating that way. That's what I did - I already knew I wanted a blue 1LT auto with the driver convenience pack and pretty much nothing else, so I just used Chevrolet's website to find every dealer within a reasonable distance of where I lived, e-mailed them, came to agreement on a price with the one who was most willing to negotiate, and literally visited them once to test drive and inspect the exact car I was going to buy and do the paperwork. You can even arrange financing ahead of time (talk to a few different places, find the best rate) and let the dealership try to beat it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts