Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying this is my brothers car. About a month or 2 ago, He overheated the car. In the process of trying to get the coolant levels right, overheated it again. This time, it shut down and was nearly impossible to get it home, but it jumped, and we limped it home. We had a no crank, no start situation. We started out thinking it must be a starter or battery issue. It was neither. We replaced the starter relay. It cranked, but very slowly, would not start though. It had sat for probably 2 weeks without movement in the motor. Looking at the oil, we thought qe may be lucky. When it cranked and the motor started to move, check the oil, and we got chocolate milk. We knew we had bigger problems. We get a code reader, it pulls codes for,( in the same order as above), insufficient coolant flow, knock sensor module performance, and lost communication with ECM. We obviously have our work cut out. My question is basically, would the knock sensor issue along with the coolant issue and probable blown head gasket, cause the ECM to stop communicating in an effort to protect itself. If we get the coolant level issue fixed, knock sensor issue fixed, which could be due to timing issues from the overheat, fresh oil, could we erase the communication code. Or do you think it's something simpler for the ECM. In the process of cranking it, the battery died, after about 10 attempts. That battery was within 6 months old. We got conflicting decisions on the battery too. It has a new, slightly larger battery now. The spark plugs were only 4 or 5 months old, and they looked terrible, looked like the ceramic was starting to be burnt. Feel free with any questions, or suggestions

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,938 Posts
Have you looked into the cylinders with an endoscope? And done a compression test?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did look into the cylinder, looks like water or unspent gas from the cranking attempts. Did not do the compression test yet. We did attempt to turn it over manually. Turned and felt what seemed like good compression compared to another vehicle. Before all is said and done, I figured a compression test would be a necessity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We did look into the cylinder, looks like water or unspent gas from the cranking attempts. Did not do the compression test yet. We did attempt to turn it over manually. Turned and felt what seemed like good compression compared to another vehicle. Before all is said and done, I figured a compression test would be a necessity.

Drain the oil and see if there is coolant in there, if so, you gotta pull the head. I just did this on my daughters 2014 1.8 because she cracked the radiator "off roading" in a sense and then overheated once all the coolant was gone. I found coolant in the oil, coolant on top of the pistons, and a warped head. It is a lot of work and I haven't quite finished yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As Brew stated, drain the oil.

If the oil is nice and milky then I would reasonably assume your brother's head gasket is K.O.'d
The cylinder head will need to come off. It's one hell of a job to tackle it at home but it can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts