Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, another issue has surfaced yesterday. The surging here only happens when the engine is cold, it will smooth out a bit at 3200-3800k RPM, but as soon as you get back on it, it does the same thing. It's pretty bad, it jolts you around in the seat. I talked about this before and it was brushed off as normal, but when warming up, this thing idles all over the place. It'll sit at a light and just bounce sometimes.

When it's warm it'll have a few hiccups here and there, but nowhere near as bad as this. Spark plugs and coil pack were changed by the dealer 15k miles ago. No CEL or codes (obviously)

Thoughts on what it is before I take it in?

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I'm thinking throttle position sensor (tps) is out of range.....but not enough to trigger a code.
May require a throttle body if it is the sensor....not certain if it is serviced as a stand alone part.

May be vacuum related too.....if the manifold absolute pressure sensor (map) is getting a disrupted vacuum signal it won't trigger a code as long as it is within its operating parameters.

One of those things that helped turn my hair almost white over the years.

Strictly speculation btw,
Rob

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking throttle position sensor (tps) is out of range.....but not enough to trigger a code.
May require a throttle body if it is the sensor....not certain if it is serviced as a stand alone part.

May be vacuum related too.....if the manifold absolute pressure sensor (map) is getting a disrupted vacuum signal it won't trigger a code as long as it is within its operating parameters.

One of those things that helped turn my hair almost white over the years.

Strictly speculation btw,
Rob
That doesn't sound too expensive, haha.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Have you checked the valve cover for leaks at the diaphragm?

Reactions: sparkman

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, they cannot figure out what the heck is the problem. They have got it to act up but are scratching their heads.

And for the "fuel smell", this is what they have to say:

·
Registered
441 Posts
So, they cannot figure out what the heck is the problem. They have got it to act up but are scratching their heads.

And for the "fuel smell", this is what they have to say:

Aren't you still in powertrain warranty? If so, and they say they can't fix it, I'd make them buy the car back. At the very least they need to give you a rental until they fix it. That's very dangerous.

I just don't understand why its always "we can't figure it out". The Chrysler dealers love to use that with my family all the time.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aren't you still in powertrain warranty? If so, and they say they can't fix it, I'd make them buy the car back. At the very least they need to give you a rental until they fix it. That's very dangerous.

I just don't understand why its always "we can't figure it out". The Chrysler dealers love to use that with my family all the time.
No, unfortunately that expired already. :(

I know, it pisses me off.

I just spent $200 for a diagnosis on a problem they cannot fix.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No, unfortunately that expired already. :(

I know, it pisses me off.

I just spent $200 for a diagnosis on a problem they cannot fix.

Sheesh.
I'd be pretty pissed too. Have you tried finding a good independent mechanic?

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be pretty pissed too. Have you tried finding a good independent mechanic?
That's what this was, an independent mechanic and not a dealer and it's supposed to be the best around.

I have a hard time believing an oil leak smells like a **** gas station.

Are oil coolers known for going out on these things?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm not sure about the oil cooler in particular, perhaps someone else can chime in. I know the older Cruze's like yours the oil cooler lines will leak. If you have oil leaks I would certainly address them. Oil burning generally has a distinct smell from my experience. I think I would get those fixed and see if the smell goes away.

Just saying though if it were me, if this car is costing you a lot to repair, perhaps its time to dump it? I know it sucks but if you are spending a ton on monthly repairs, you may as well buy a new car.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure about the oil cooler in particular, perhaps someone else can chime in. I know the older Cruze's like yours the oil cooler lines will leak. If you have oil leaks I would certainly address them. Oil burning generally has a distinct smell from my experience. I think I would get those fixed and see if the smell goes away.

Just saying though if it were me, if this car is costing you a lot to repair, perhaps its time to dump it? I know it sucks but if you are spending a ton on monthly repairs, you may as well buy a new car.
It's paid off, and I really don't want to go back to car payments...

It's not to bad $$$ in repairs, but I just hate not being able to go 10,000 miles without something serious breaking.

Reactions: jmlo96
1 - 12 of 12 Posts