Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 2012 LS with the 6M and ran into an odd issue last week.

Before i I get started with last weeks issues I’ll start with the thermostat problems he had a month ago. He started getting the a/c off due to high temp messages with the temp gauge on cold. He ended up replacing the sensors in the water outlet and the radiator. Gauge started to work halfway so to speak, it would get to 1/4 and then stop with no message displayed.

Fast forward to last week. He calls me saying there is no power and no check engine light on. When he steps on the gas it does nothing and then from time to time at random it would jump and take off just to lose power again as he came up to the next stoplight/ stop sign. While on the phone with me it acted up and he pressed the clutch in while coming to a stop to find the engine had stalled and tach was at 0. Car started right back up but started to act up again when coming to a stop again.

Figuring it went into limp mode I had him pull over and shut the car down/ open door/ restart car.

At at this point in time the cel came on. Here are the codes that came up.

P0128
P0031 x3
P0037 x3
P0134 x2
P0135 x3
P0141 x3
P0443 x2
P0597 x2
P0598 x2
P0660 x2
P2078 x2
P0140

He changed the battery as it was questionable when tested but is still running into the same issues with the same codes.
He was going to start replacing the sensors that had codes come up for but I told him not to as I didn’t believe that all of these sensors went all at once. Seems to me that he is having some sort of power issues that the PCM is not happy about.

Any help on where to start is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the car is not near but should be at me house to look at in the next week or so at which point I will have the ability to look into it further.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
You have a lot of codes going on but I’ll sum it up in multiple posts. You have thermostat circuit codes. in these cars people many times change the thermostat when it’s not even bad. Usually it is the ECT sensor in the radiator or there is a leak In the oil cooler crossover pipe that will give you the common symptoms of a/c off due to overheating and the common temp gauge only reaches 1/4.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
You also have many o2 sensors codes. I would check the fuses and make sure you didn’t blow one somehow. You shouldn’t have needed to unplug any for the thermostat repair but double check the connections.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
And the last codes are for my favorite. Intake manifold tuning valve. Check to make sure the electrical connection is good on the valve motor. Also check the lever that connects the motor to the intake manifold that it hasn’t fallen off.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I would also remove both battery connections and just touch them together to reset the system. I’ve seen the cruzes sometimes act crazy when people disconnect and replace sensors and the Cruze doesn’t know what to do with itself.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a chance to lol at this. After replacing the negative battery cable I have the following codes still. Fan is on full turbo mode as it is generally described in here. The first 2 codes showed up immediately after starting the car which is weird as it was never moved just started long enough to circulate the oil after doing the oil change. After sitting about 10 minutes and cycling the key a couple more times, the second two showed up even with the engine not being ran. This one has definitely got me stumped. Won’t know how it’s going to run on the street until my brother drives it.

P2078
P0443
P0597
P0598

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scratch that, the rest of the original codes came back after sitting for about a half hour or so. Looks like a trip to the dealer to find out why all these codes are showing up just sitting still.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would also remove both battery connections and just touch them together to reset the system. I’ve seen the cruzes sometimes act crazy when people disconnect and replace sensors and the Cruze doesn’t know what to do with itself.
All fuses checked out fine and I did touch the neg and pos cables together when I replaced the neg cable. After sitting for a half hour the code count on my scanner was at 35 codes, some pending, some current, some permanent, and the freeze frame data. The thing that I find strange is that the car does not even need to be ran to throw them. Each time the key was cycled a new group of codes came back until all of the entire original list posted above was present again.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I wonder if your wiring harness has been damaged? I’ve worked on one particular 2011 cruze where the battery acid ate through the harness below and caused all sorts of issues. I’m just as confused as you are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts