Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2012 1.8L Coolant drip.

536 4
Hi.

Adding details per sticky thread. 2012 1.8 LS manual. About 105k.

I recently replaced the thermostat and cover, I think the parts are called. I now have a drip of coolant below the pipe that is below the thermostat. I'll attach a picture at the bottom. I took the thermostat off and double checked my seal and it appears okay. I did have to loosen the whole housing off the block by about a quarter inch to get the thermostat cover off. My suspicion is that the seal between the housing and the black didn't seat correctly when I tightened it back down but there's no way to check that without removing everything. I'm wondering if perhaps I made a mistake by not buying the whole housing in metal which is only about $10 more than the part I did buy. Anybody want to confirm the suspicion or make another suggestion? Thank you

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive exterior
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
541 Posts
given the corrosion on the screws I think it's more of a maintence problem then a parts problem... the seal between the head and thermostat often builds up with corrosion and it'll need to be dealt with before the new part can seat correctly, additionally the coolant bypas pipe the seal goes flat and hardens, some times you can get away with flipping the seal and putting it in backwards.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
given the corrosion on the screws I think it's more of a maintence problem then a parts problem... the seal between the head and thermostat often builds up with corrosion and it'll need to be dealt with before the new part can seat correctly, additionally the coolant bypas pipe the seal goes flat and hardens, some times you can get away with flipping the seal and putting it in backwards.
Thanks for the reply. Using that logic one would suggest it might be worth trying a couple new gaskets/seals and some cleaning before buying any more parts, yes? I didn't think the coolant bypass pipe seal would have been broken since I didn't loosen those bolts at all. But any jiggling in that area could easily finish off one that's already close. My guess is the gasket between housing and head. I suppose $10 for seals is an easier investment than the whole housing for $80 or 90.

· The Nuclear Option
5,870 Posts
Hi.

Adding details per sticky thread. 2012 1.8 LS manual. About 105k.

I recently replaced the thermostat and cover, I think the parts are called. I now have a drip of coolant below the pipe that is below the thermostat. I'll attach a picture at the bottom. I took the thermostat off and double checked my seal and it appears okay. I did have to loosen the whole housing off the block by about a quarter inch to get the thermostat cover off. My suspicion is that the seal between the housing and the black didn't seat correctly when I tightened it back down but there's no way to check that without removing everything. I'm wondering if perhaps I made a mistake by not buying the whole housing in metal which is only about $10 more than the part I did buy. Anybody want to confirm the suspicion or make another suggestion? Thank you

View attachment 299898
I recommend removing the pipe to inspect it. At the least you need new gaskets and bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts