Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2012 2LT Battery has an internal leakage of precisely 1.09 amperes

2663 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  NickD
At 56*F temperature. This translates into English that after 55 hours, this battery will be stone dead. Can't be accurate on this time, but was sure stone dead after six days. Probably much less than this now because with even one full discharge, battery can lose 30-60% of its new capacity.

Using a precise 13.5V pure DC power supply, just let it charge overnight. Reducing the voltage to 13.0 V expected the current to drop to zero, but for the last several hours, holding at 1.09 amperes. Sure sign of internal leakage.

Should be covered under the 36 month warranty, but now how to explain this to my dealer. Off to see what he says.

Coming home from Italy dead tired after being locked up in a tiny plane seat and airport security for over 20 hours was not fun to come back to a car with a dead battery.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
They *might* cover it, but to be honest, I would a better aftermarket battery - these AC Delco ones are crummy quality.

I had mine replaced under warranty after it died completely less than a year ago and it's starting to run low on charge again - I'm only showing a 12.0V charge on it.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back home for awhile, got a loaner, SM said they have to do their own tests to replaced the battery. Wonder if they even know how to do an internal leakage test. Unless they keep the car for several days and learn it won't start. Also requested an ABS GMTechII brake bleeding, Pedal still pumps up, all the indication of air left in the system.

Did rent a 2014 Ford Cmax in Italy with an MT, kind of liked it. Had my stepson, his and my wife and grandson in it. Didn't check fuel economy, but claim 50 mpg. We had to drop them off at the airport. Had space for four large suitcases, five carry ons, and a stroller. Rear compartment had two fold down seats in it, so with less space in the rear, could carry seven passengers. Is a diesel, plenty of pop that you really need in Italy, everybody there is in a super hurry.

Ha, went nuts with roundabouts every city block and city streets barely wide enough for two vehicles. When a truck approached, had to drive up on a curb.

Wonder why we don't have vehicles like this here. Also drove up single lane mountain roads, that was cool with over a thousand foot drop on the side.

Diesel fuel was $7.93 per US gallon, a 160 KM stretch cost me another 23 bucks for tow roads. Ha, we don't have it so bad here.

If a new battery last me another 2 1/2 years for free, will take it.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi NickD,

Feel free to let us know if further assistance is needed with this situation. Please send us a private message in regard to your concern at anytime. We'd be happy to help!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the post, this sounds exactly like what I had last weekend. After 3 days of sitting my battery's OCV was 11.4V, just enough that I needed a jump. Dealer battery testing showed nothing wrong, and I've been driving it every day since with no issues. However I did pick up one of the jump battery packs to keep in my trunk.

I'll track the OCV the next time I let the car sit for longer than a day. Unfortunately I sold my battery charger with my ebike... perhaps it is time for a new one. Although I do not have electricity at my parking spot.

· Banned
185 Posts
Ya, I left my car sit for 6 days and it was dead when I went to start it...Charged up the battery and brought it to the dealer..Of course the dealer said battery checks out Fine..no draws in the car and blamed my Radar Detector that turns off after 10 minutes just like everything else does inside the car...Idiots....I was like"dont you guys know the car turns everything off after 10 minutes" they were like Nope Don't care , it must be your radar detector....And of course the battery checks out fine, I just charged it for them....Next time im going to make them come tow it...I have two more days to get to 6 days again to check...

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rather upset at the moment, all my dealer said GM was allow to do was to make a parasitic draw test. Already stated that is not the problem. And a CCA test, but at 70*F and not at 0*F. So as far as GM is concerned, there is nothing wrong with my battery.

The fact that particles are falling off the lead plates and providing an internal short to the battery is of no concern to them. And like I speculated, too stupid to even know how to make this test. And certainly not part of GM instructions. Working with a bunch of idiots and very fed up with GM at this point. He also complained to me how difficult it is to work on these cars, maintenance took a far back seat to speed up production. Have to break parts off.

We also got into a disagreement on using his GMTechII scanner to activate the ABS pump, said he also has to connect his laptop. Said that is only required to reflash the firmware. Too much work so didn't do this either.

Just about getting ready to get rid of this POS car and the idiots I have to deal with,. See guys asking about chrome handles on this board. What about working brakes and a good battery?

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20 hours treated like a terrorist with air transportation as it is today. Only to return to a dead battery. Son did have a small charger, but took six hours to get enough juice to crank it that extended our trip. Try to be patient and understanding, but do have limits. Like having to take my shoes off. Idiots at the airport never checked under my socks and stole my water bottle that was only a quarter full.

So help me, this world is going nuts.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Ya, I left my car sit for 6 days and it was dead when I went to start it...Charged up the battery and brought it to the dealer..Of course the dealer said battery checks out Fine..no draws in the car and blamed my Radar Detector that turns off after 10 minutes just like everything else does inside the car...Idiots....I was like"dont you guys know the car turns everything off after 10 minutes" they were like Nope Don't care , it must be your radar detector....And of course the battery checks out fine, I just charged it for them....Next time im going to make them come tow it...I have two more days to get to 6 days again to check...
Take everything out of it before they pick it up. That way they can't blame something left plugged in.

· Registered
532 Posts
Rather upset at the moment, all my dealer said GM was allow to do was to make a parasitic draw test. Already stated that is not the problem. And a CCA test, but at 70*F and not at 0*F. So as far as GM is concerned, there is nothing wrong with my battery.

The fact that particles are falling off the lead plates and providing an internal short to the battery is of no concern to them. And like I speculated, too stupid to even know how to make this test. And certainly not part of GM instructions. Working with a bunch of idiots and very fed up with GM at this point. He also complained to me how difficult it is to work on these cars, maintenance took a far back seat to speed up production. Have to break parts off.

We also got into a disagreement on using his GMTechII scanner to activate the ABS pump, said he also has to connect his laptop. Said that is only required to reflash the firmware. Too much work so didn't do this either.

Just about getting ready to get rid of this POS car and the idiots I have to deal with,. See guys asking about chrome handles on this board. What about working brakes and a good battery?
The car is not the problem. Your dealer is and the battery is bad. I'm not sure how a bad battery makes the car a POS. Take your car to another dealer for the ABS bleed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car is not the problem. Your dealer is and the battery is bad. I'm not sure how a bad battery makes the car a POS. Take your car to another dealer for the ABS bleed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Suggesting a third dealer? How many dang dealers do I have to chase around to? Get the same old identical story, no codes on the ABS and its okay, when its perfectly obvious that they left air in the system. No positively no such codes for air in the system.

Same with the battery, only permitted to do two test from GM, parasitic draw and CCA load test, nothing about a battery with severe internal leaks, showed me the GM requirement for both ABS and the battery.

If they don't follow GM rules, won't get paid. Not the dealers, AH's at GM!!!!

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
If they don't follow GM rules, won't get paid. Not the dealers, AH's at GM!!!!
And we are back to the fundamental flaws in GM's franchise and warranty policies. Deja Vu all over again.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If my Battery dies again, Im just going to take the cables off and dead short the leads for a few days...then bring it too them...Make sure its good and dead....
Shorting out a battery can be hazardous to your health. A far better way, since I have a charger that can output as much as 450 amps. Could overcharge it to warp the plates and really make this battery history without showing any external damage to the exterior to the battery.

Thought about this, but refuse to be dishonest, incompetent, stupid, or whatever like they are. Everything so far as been a battle. Did go in yesterday, they wanted to keep my car for a week to learn if the battery goes dead on its own. This is positively idiotic. And they are suppose to be the experts! I didn't buy a car to leave it parked, purchased it, because we need it. Lead acid battery technology is over 200 years old and if they don't comprehend the basics should get a job at Macs, flipping burgers.

Wife suggested we just buy a new battery, she is quite aware of the hours I am wasting fooling around with these idiots.

Just received a notice from GM to take my car into the dealer to have the coolant level checked. Claim its full when it left the factory but will get low after driving it as this eliminates air pockets. Was nice to get this notice 2 1/2 years after I purchased this car. Was low just after four days when new, I topped it off myself with Dex-cool.

Not a new problem, over a decade old every since they got rid of the radiator cap and air bleeds to save a couple of cents. Did they finally wake up?

· Premium Member
945 Posts
If my Battery dies again, Im just going to take the cables off and dead short the leads for a few days...then bring it too them...Make sure its good and dead....
Looks like someone is making a run at the Darwin award again... :lol:

In all seriousness though, do not do this. Even a "dead" battery, one whose voltage has dropped below 12V far enough it can't power the car (which runs off of 12V), the battery can easily still store enough energy to seriously harm you, be it through blowing up after you short the leads, or burning you chemically or physically, etc. etc.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A "good" dealer replaced the battery under warranty, only pulling an addition 12ma when fully charged. See by the limits of the AC Delco website, this new battery is only warranted for the next couple of months. 04 Cavalier battery lasted for over eight years before I had to replace it.

That anti-thief circuit sure pulls a lot of parasitic current, may have been okay if I left the doors unlocked when getting back. Ha, and if someone did steal my car, would have been doing me a favor from the frustration I went through dealing with rotten dealers.

Least I found a good dealer.

· Premium Member
945 Posts
The problem with the Cruze battery is it is undersized. It doesn't take long for the battery to lose enough capacity that it can no longer reliably start the vehicle. When mine dies, I plan on going with a group 48/H6 battery instead of the stock 47/H5. 730 CCA should last a long time in this car, even as the battery ages and loses capacity.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Couldn't help but notice that movable partition in front of the battery, have to live with the same height and width, but sure can increase the length of the battery. Also a bit of sticker shock, looking in the 160-175 buck range for a new battery.

Doubt if a larger battery would solve this problem, more plates, many more internal connections, and if using crap for the plates, will flake off causing internal shorts. If you studied ancient history on six volt batteries, was three separate cells externally connected together so if one cell went bad, just had to replace that, not the entire battery. Putting three or six cells in one case was a money saving reason. Even worse on hybrid vehicles slapping all that crap in one large case. And that lead has to be 99.99% pure, no telling what other junk they are adding to the pot.

Still didn't go back to my original home dealer to show him that slip my battery was bad. Either a crook or highly incompetent. But one thing for sure, never going back there. On my no buy list that is getting longer and longer each year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.