Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing an issue with coolant in the exhaust with my 2012 1.4L Turbo Cruze.

I have experienced and repaired most of the coolant leaks others on the forum have experienced, including:
  1. Engine Overheated
  2. Replaced Water Pump and Gasket
  3. Replaced Water Outlet and Hose Going to the Coolant Tank
  4. Replaced Thermostat Housing and Gasket
  5. Replaced Coolant Tank
Since I have replaced these items (thanks to the awesome guideance on this forum - thank you), there is no longer any visible coolant in the engine bay, but the coolant level is still going down, there is coolant in the exhaust, and the exhaust has a sweet coolant smell to it.

The only two remaining items I suspect are:
  1. Bad Turbo Dumping Coolant into the Exhaust
  2. Warped Head/Bad Head Gasket
Is there any way to determine why there is coolant in the exhaust? I would like to perform the repair myself, but I will have to take it to a reputable mechanic if I cannot diagnose the issue. Replacing the head requires specialty tools and lots of time, and a replacement turbo charger is quite expensive, so I don't want to perform either repair without being pretty sure of the cause.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What about the feed and return lines to the back of the Turbo? The engine oil cooler? Your radiator?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
GM 1.4L Turbo Boost & Coolant Leak Testing Kits
Engine oil cooler replacement?
Related stuff...
How-To: Change the Water Pump on 1.4 Turbo Cruze

#14371: Special Coverage Adjustment - Engine Coolant Leak from Water Pump - (Oct 6, 2014)
Subject:14371 – Special Coverage Adjustment – Engine Coolant Leak from the Water Pump
Models:2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic
With 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ or LUV)
Condition: Some 2011-2014 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles and some 2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles with the 1.4L engine may have an engine coolant leak from the water pump. The pump may leak from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal, leading to a drip of coolant onto the engine or onto the ground. Over time, the loss of coolant will reduce cooling performance and eventually could lead to engine overheating. If this condition is not corrected, the “Service Engine” indicator light may come on, an “Engine Hot, AC Off” message may appear, a chime may sound, and the engine power may be reduced.
Special Coverage Adjustment: This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to replace the water pump if it is leaking. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

FIX: Coolant Odors/Coolant Loss From Reservoir
How-To: Replace 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L Coolant/Water Outlet
Mysterious coolant loss
]Antifreeze Smell Thread
Cruze Cabin Odors, Sources, and Resolution Summary
2013 Cruze oil smell from heater
Heat Is Causing A Bad Oil Smell?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for mentioning those additional places to check. I have added coolant dye, and there are no visible leaks anywhere in the engine bay, including the turbo feed/return lines, radiator, and engine oil cooler. I did a combustion leak test, and it indicated a combustion leak.

It looks like it is most likely a bad head gasket and/or warped head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts