Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8L with 94k miles and I notice at about 80k that my gas milage started taking a hit. I used to get about 24MPG in the city on 91 Shell but now I only get 21.5 or 20.. I've had my Oil changed 2k miles ago and have always put synthetic in, and always pump 91 shell 80% of the time. My Oil filter currently has 2k miles on it but is going to be changed to a K&N in a few days and my Air filter might as well since I have about 15k miles on it. I am a very aggressive driver but I always have been and recently my fiancé who drives like a 90 year old saint can barely break 24 MPG when she used to be able to get 26+MPG out of her driving. Anyone have any suggestions as to what should be replaced to solve this? Chevy already reset the ECU to clear the transmission's memory.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could have a tired oxygen sensor.
I actually researched the symptoms of that happening and it seems like I'm experiencing almost all of them. Rough idle, jerking, gas milage taking a huge hit, and loss of power. I'm buying one right now from Bosch! Thanks!

**EDIT** Actually I'm hearing the Bosch ones are bad? Can someone link me to a good O2 Sensor?

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Have you replaced your spark plugs yet? They're either completely worn out or very close to it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I'm on Rock Auto and before I order everything does it sound right to y'all?

AUTOLITE Part # XP3923 Iridium XP SPARK PLUG x4 = $18

ACDELCO Part # 2134699 {#55572215} GM Original Equipment UPSTREAM O2 Sensor = $48.79

ACDELCO Part # 2134698 {#55572216} GM Original Equipment DOWNSTREAM O2 Sensor = $23.79

Total with 2 day shipping = $119.41

**EDIT** Apparently after further research the Downstream isn't important so I'm taking that off. So $78 total.

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
If you can, cancel the spark plug part of the order. Go with the NGK BRK7EIX or BRK8EIX plugs instead. The 7's are a hotter plug and are equivalent to the OEM plugs in the 1.8 engine. NGK makes the OEM plugs as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can, cancel the spark plug part of the order. Go with the NGK BRK7EIX or BRK8EIX plugs instead. The 7's are a hotter plug and are equivalent to the OEM plugs in the 1.8 engine. NGK makes the OEM plugs as well.
Ah dang it was going to split the order in two if I ordered the NGK plugs. I did get an NGK O2 Sensor instead of the ACDELCO one though. If the AUTOLITE plugs suck I'll just order some NGK ones, it shouldn't be too big of a difference right? $18 for plugs is cheap so I won't fret if they suck. I will have all of this by Monday the 18th since I used 1 day shipping since I'm impatient and can't wait to see if this cures my problems! :D I can't believe I'm this excited over something so simple lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just posting an update!

After replacing the spark plugs I noticed a better startup and a tad better response when accelerating. It took a while to replace the o2 sensor but yesterday my father in-law and I hit it with a torch and used the strength of an Ox to take it off, then we saw the threads from the old O2 Sensor were left on the manifold so we had to go and get a chaser/18x1.5mm threading device and rethread the manifold. After that I put the whole thing of anti seize on the new NGK O2 Sensor and it slid in perfectly.

After testing with my crappy premium tank of Arco I've already put 180 hard miles on the new O2 Sensor and so far I'm getting almost 23MPG with it which is about right when I tested the car with 59k miles on it with the same gas before the O2 went out. I will be taking the car out shortly and driving it around and then dumping some Royal Purple injector cleaner(Snake Oil) and a 1/4 of Shell premium and then after that I'll pump a full tank in and dumping seafoam in after I take that to empty.

So far -
The rough idle is gone

The shaking in the morning is gone

It still sounds like a diesel in the morning

A LOT of jerking is gone when I accelerate from a low gear and I haven't had it jerk when braking as it shifts into 2nd.

MPG went from 18.9 to 28-31

Thanks everyone for their help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts