Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze and was wanting to know from the Cruze experts is the 12.5 Volts correct voltage when the car is running?

Lots of cars I have owned in the past when the car is running the voltage was closer to 13.5 volts.

I have a 2 way radio in the car and when transmitting it's 60 watts of power it clears it's memories of the radio. I then have to re-program the radio's memories, it is getting aggravating. :angry:

Please reply thank you!

Boyd N4TUX

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The Cruze has a variable output alternator that only runs as hard as required to keep the battery properly charged. Voltage readouts will range from just above 12 to nearly 15 volts.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze and was wanting to know from the Cruze experts is the 12.5 Volts correct voltage when the car is running?

Lots of cars I have owned in the past when the car is running the voltage was closer to 13.5 volts.

I have a 2 way radio in the car and when transmitting it's 60 watts of power it clears it's memories of the radio. I then have to re-program the radio's memories, it is getting aggravating. :angry:

Please reply thank you!

Boyd N4TUX
Like obermd said, the alternator kicks on and off as needed. But your battery should never dip below 12v while running. For your radio, 60W at 12v is 5 Amps - that's not really much of a load. If your radio is losing it's memory due to power failure, I don't believe your battery/alternator is the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Couple of things that will likely help you

- Ensure you have a solid ground. If you bolted or screwed the grounding cable to a painted surface you will get this issue. Scrape the paint away and remount the ground.

- Add on the Big 3 Upgrade. If you don't know what this is... it's 3 ground cables added or replacing your current ground cables in the engine bay. Takes all of 30 mins to install, very easy to make a kit. Ask and we'll help you. There is also a guy on here who makes them. You will find it here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-audio-electronics/12114-big-3-kits-f-s-order-form.html (TECollins)

- The Big 3 will help raise your voltage, possibly to the level needed, to prevent memory reset on your unit. Regardless, as OBERMD stated, the car is variable voltage. As McNeo stated, it is likely another issue and I would refer to my first line of suggestion then the next.

- Your cable size powering the unit may be causing a voltage drop. Where is it mounted and what size cable are you using. The longer the cable and the thinner it is the quicker you begin to lose voltage. If you used 8 Gauge and you can fit 4 gauge, after trying everything else list above, upgrade these cables. Now, if you shoot back your cable size is 22 gauge I would say you should consider this first if line one checks out. (4 gauge may be over kill but it's an example. Check with us if you're not sure ;) )

Did this help you out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts