Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 1 2012 Chevy Cruze LS with 1.8, 105K miles. Ck eng light was on had a code P0011. So, I replaced the camshaft actuator solenoids ( did both for good measure ) Cleared codes, drove it for about 1/2 hr. No codes reappeared. Went to work and when I got there plugged the scanner in... it says 3 monitors are not set and the P0011 IS BACK.. but no ck eng light. Help!! This is getting frustrating. I NEED this to pass inspection!

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
What's the status of the engine oil? The system uses the engine oil pressure like a hydraulic system to make the changes. P0011 means the system isn't effective. Activating the solenoids isn't causing the timing change. It could be low oil, low oil pressure, etc.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I don't know about the code since the light isn't on. But the computer has to go through a reset process before the emissions is ready.

In the early days of obd2. It was 60 miles.

No idea what it is these days. Google has a ton of different answers.

One thing that came up was 60 - 100 miles
One thing that came up was 3 drive cycles of operating temperature and no active codes
Then there was a bunch of other mumble jumble.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
You can test the ground circuit to be sure it provides a good ground. Less than 5ohms resistance.

You can test the control circuit to make sure it isn't shorted to power by using a test light (don't use a multimeter, the circuit has a bias voltage for diagnostic purposes present.)

You can inspect the terminals of the connector and the wiring, being sure to notice any thin or lighter colored areas of insulation, indicative of broken conductor inside the insulation. An electrically complete, but high resistance circuit can set this code without triggering the P0010 one would expect.

Beyond these tests, you'll either need to physically inspect the timing, or have access to a scan tool with the "desired" and "actual" cam timing parameters or both in order to properly diagnose the issue. (Assuming your engine is free of sludge, oil pressure is ok, and oil level and condition are ok)

This is typically a mechanical.issue. sludge, failed sprocket actuator, slipped timing.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Shorts/opens should set a different code. This code indicates the engine isn't doing what the computer wants it to do (change the timing).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shamefully , I just checked...my oil is about 2K miles over due to be changed. I will change it tomorrow and see if that will help. I took both of the old solenoids and applied [power () 12V ) and they both work on the bench

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Shorts/opens should set a different code. This code indicates the engine isn't doing what the computer wants it to do (change the timing).
I'm well aware of what this code is,(and it's p0014 mate) a performance code, as opposed to the 10/13 pairing for circuit integrity.

High resistance in the 5-15ohm range or so on the circuit can set this code before it triggers an electrical code, especially if the solenoid is in the lower end of the resistance spec.

A short to power in the system whether through wiring damage or a failed ECM driver can actuate the solenoid without triggering a circuit integrity code.

I did specifically mention that these diagnostics steps were to be done assuming that oil level, condition and pressure were ok. And that mechanical issues are the typical cause. When someone says they've given up I tend to like to make sure they looked at as many of the possible diagnostic steps as possible. Diagnostics are preferable to parts replacement when possible and the to understand/know that there are more causes possible than the typical "replace this part" approach would lead one to believe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE- I had the oil changed. Code ( P0011 ) came back... drove about 150 miles, erased codes and drove back and forth 2 work ( about 1.5 hr ) code has not come back AND 1 monitor is not set. So, tomorrow I am hoping the P0011 stays gone and having it inspected!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts