Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 Chevy Cruze LS 1.8L
82,140 miles approximately

This car was a free hand-me-down from a family member. It is a rebuilt title car. I’ve been driving it around for a little over 3 years now. She runs like a champ and has never had any major issues while I’ve had her. Well aside from the check engine light and air bag light always being on since I inherited the car.

The original owner crashed the car back in 2013. I was able to look up the insurance company that ruled it salvage. Direct quote “Vehicle sustained damage to left side mostly door area. The side air bags were deployed. Appears that vehicle was sold at auction and then rebuilt and resold.” Couldn’t find any other useful free info online. Those VIN car reports seem a little pricey and not sure what it would even tell me.

I have never really questioned the integrity of the car since she has always passed the annual state inspections, runs great, and I have never heard any real concerns from mechanics whenever I take it in for an oil change. But I’ve joined this community so that means she’s obviously got something going on now.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,936 Posts
Autozone Codes are:

P0597, P0598, P2181

Unfortunately these are really generic codes. As you will see below the first two could be caused by the same thing and the last one goes right into diagnostics on most of the pages I went to. I added a second link to the last one that goes into more detail of what to do.

P0597
Experience dictates that the problem usually lies in a loose or corroded electrical connector or the electrically operated thermostat itself is at fault.
Occasionally, the ECM fails, but is the least likely cause.
A loose or corroded connector on the thermostat
A coolant leak will cause the code to set
The thermostat itself has failed
A short or open has occurred in the wiring harness between the computer and thermostat
The ECM has failed

Read more at: P0597 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Open DTC

P0598
Experience dictates that the problem usually lies in a loose or corroded electrical connector or the electrically operated thermostat itself is at fault.
Occasionally, the ECM fails, but is the least likely cause.
A loose or corroded connector on the thermostat
A coolant leak will cause the code to set
The thermostat itself has failed
A short or open has occurred in the wiring harness between the computer and thermostat
The ECM has failed

Read more at: P0598 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Low DTC

Possible Causes
The two most common causes of this code include the cooling system of the engine:

• Defective water pump
  • Faulty thermostat
Read more at: Error Code P2181: Cooling System Performance Code

Unlike most generic-computer fault codes that are relatively specific as to the items or area the fault occurred, code P2181 is vague to say the least. The fault is recognized and set if the engine temperature is out of range either too hot or cold.

Read more at: P2181 Cooling System Performance DTC

There is an extended warranty on the water pump, but I think because you have a salvage title, it may not apply.

Service Bulletin - NHTSA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts