Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here on this forum, I found "Cruze Talk" by researching the PCV issue I have had... Ironically it's been bad since I bought the car from Herz Rental because I drove it off the lot and got 27 mpg with a slow decreased to 18 mpg and severe intermittent loss of engine power... Tracking control light intermittent...
SO... I smashed the car in Aug, a month after getting it... someone from the opposite direction turned left into traffic as I was coming thru the intersection.
So it is in the shop today because everything I read says the PVC problem is
warranted by 100,000 mile power train. I made a video of the issue of the sucking from the PCV Valve cover but the dealer still insists on charging me $107 for diagnostics. I'll know today what the problems are and if it is covered, BUT it is also in for RECALLS, first ECM issue and 2nd top off the coolant (I was like, top off the coolant, really, that is a recall???? I guess some cars left the factory not filled, that is what the dealer said) ... I have a feeling it is all related. BTW, I am only running 93 octane and have added fuel injector cleaner... Any comments or suggestions welcome! Well... has the mal function of the PCV gummed up and created bigger issues?
Now I read here in this forum that I might have better performance if I use Irdium spark plugs?
Well, I look forward to reading about keeping this car in tune... Chick-a-BOOM!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, Dealer said it was the Camshaft valve cover and is warranted 100%... they updated the Engine control module... too. He told me not to burn 93 octane gas... I thought I read that in the manual! Any comments?

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
The PCV is embedded in the camshaft valve cover and is indeed under the power train warranty, so that part's good. Dealerships are required, in most places, to tell you what they will charge for diagnostics if the problem isn't covered under warranty. Diagnostic fees are waived if you have them do any repairs. I wouldn't read too much into the diagnostics fees as long as they are not required up front.

Now for the octane comment. The 2012 LTZ engine is coded for "KRD - 91 octane". It's on the build sticker in the glove box. The Cruze can run on 87 octane through some serious mechanical and software engineering wizardry to protect the engine from knock, but at the expense of drivability and power. Give your car a shot at 89 and then 87 octane - find the one that you like that gives you the best throttle response and use it. In the summer you may need to run 91/93 while you can safely drop back to 89 or even 87 in the winter. The fact that you had the ECU recall done tells me to definitely give 87 or 89 a try as everyone who has had this recall done has reported significant improvements on the lower octane gas. You're looking for your personal sweet spot between price and performance.

The Cruze seeps coolant. Keep an eye on it and if it drops again search around for coolant solved loss threads.

I run the NGK BRK8EIX plugs and am very happy with them. They perform noticeably better than the OEM plugs. Search for Hesitation, Gone thread. Read the first few pages and the last few.

Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I am new here on this forum, I found "Cruze Talk" by researching the PCV issue I have had... Ironically it's been bad since I bought the car from Herz Rental because I drove it off the lot and got 27 mpg with a slow decreased to 18 mpg and severe intermittent loss of engine power... Tracking control light intermittent...
SO... I smashed the car in Aug, a month after getting it... someone from the opposite direction turned left into traffic as I was coming thru the intersection.
So it is in the shop today because everything I read says the PVC problem is
warranted by 100,000 mile power train. I made a video of the issue of the sucking from the PCV Valve cover but the dealer still insists on charging me $107 for diagnostics. I'll know today what the problems are and if it is covered, BUT it is also in for RECALLS, first ECM issue and 2nd top off the coolant (I was like, top off the coolant, really, that is a recall???? I guess some cars left the factory not filled, that is what the dealer said) ... I have a feeling it is all related. BTW, I am only running 93 octane and have added fuel injector cleaner... Any comments or suggestions welcome! Well... has the mal function of the PCV gummed up and created bigger issues?
Now I read here in this forum that I might have better performance if I use Irdium spark plugs?
Well, I look forward to reading about keeping this car in tune... Chick-a-BOOM!
Hey Kryptzard,

Welcome to the forum and I'm happy to hear that everything has been taken care of! If you should experience any additional concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message! We are always happy to look into anything further and reach out to the dealership if necessary. Have a great weekend!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the support! The car is going into the shop tomorrow to have a new front end put on as I plowed into a Subaru in an intersection... no airbags deployed. Really appreciate the gas tips as the car does hesitate...

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
Ouch. Are you OK?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts