Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: Purchased a car from Auction without showing it to a mechanic since the auto history of the car had no issues (Stupid me, only to realize later that the car has a major mechanical issue and that is why it ended up in a copart auction). Anyways, lesson learnt and have spent $3000 before taxes.

The car is driveable however the engine heats up pretty soon, within 5 minutes. Showed it to a local mechanic who looked at the engine oil and told me the car needs a new engine since he can see water mixed with the engine oil and sees a frothy oil mixture which is a clear sign of leakage. I have three options right now:

1. Bite the bullet and order a used engine from ebay and spent another 1500 on the car to get it fixed. Let mechanic do his job.
2. Send the car back to auction and have them sell it for me to someone else.
3. Take on the project myself (zero experience with fixing cars however have a buddy who can help out and I am a pretty technical person so I can learn fast)

With option 3, I have a couple of questions:

If there is a leakage and water/coolant is being mixed with the engine oil, I need to find the source of the crack first. I also need to find out where the coolant is leaking. Possible by the help of a dye. I would like to perform these tests by myself.

a. Drain the coolant, if there is any, and flush it multiple times and determine input vs output difference. I can spot the leakage with the dye if I am lucky.
b. Drain engine oil.
c. Use a head gasket/Coolant sealent to repair blown head.
d. Perform an oil change and verify if the coolant leakage is still present.

Please let me know if my strategy is correct or not. I think it is doable, however I definitely need assistance in performing the right task. If some one is in Dallas Area and wants to help, I will be really grateful.

Also if I end up replacing the engine, I can find few near me from car-part.com website. I know the engine are forward and backward compatible for the cruze. Does replacing engine solves my problem. I know we need to find the coolant leakage as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
I would tend to say the engine replacement would cover the problem. The first thing I would do is to pull the head and look to see if the problem lies in the head/gasket. Possibly after replacing the head gasket, your issue may be resolved or you may find the head is the problem and really no need to pull the engine. I am willing to bet the mechanic you took the car to was looking for the easiest solution. With that many miles on it was easier to say replace the engine that way he knows the problem is fixed? FYI search the forum for head problems and also don't forget to introduce yourself. https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/6-cruzetalk-new-member-introductions/

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Water in the oil. Usually isn't good for the engine. And You have no idea how long it was run that way.

Antifreeze is colored. No need for a dye. If you can't find a leak on the outside. You won't see it on the inside. That's also what pressure testers are for. No need for dye.

Buying from an auction is always a gamble. Worse since you can't test drive them. Or even hear them run. And if you try to reauction. Odds are high you'll end up selling for less then what you bought. And I believe there's fees also.

I'd buy locally, where you can physically inspect the engine instead of taking a gamble on ebay. Maybe even run a compression test if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you. It is less work for the mechanic to replace the engine rather than replacing the head gasket.

I have been looking around for used engines and was able to fine a 1.4L shipped to me for $500 but without the turbo since they have been sold separately. Do I need an engine with turbo? is it imperative? or just the engine would also work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ebay engine comes with a 6 month warranty. Anything local in Dallas is around $1300 as compared to $500 online.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water in the oil. Usually isn't good for the engine. And You have no idea how long it was run that way.

Antifreeze is colored. No need for a dye. If you can't find a leak on the outside. You won't see it on the inside. That's also what pressure testers are for. No need for dye.

Buying from an auction is always a gamble. Worse since you can't test drive them. Or even hear them run. And if you try to reauction. Odds are high you'll end up selling for less then what you bought. And I believe there's fees also.

I'd buy locally, where you can physically inspect the engine instead of taking a gamble on ebay. Maybe even run a compression test if possible.
The ebay engine comes with a 6 month warranty. Anything local in Dallas is around $1300 as compared to $500 online.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Do I need an engine with turbo? is it imperative? or just the engine would also work?
In the case of the 1.4, the turbo is also the manifold. Even if it were possible, the computer wouldn't be happy. I don't think you'd be happy with the results since you'd have to flog the engine to go anywhere.

Keep in mind that a lot of bolts on this engine are "torque to yield" - meaning they are single use bolts. Be sure to get the proper bolts and not try to reuse them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Background: Purchased a car from Auction without showing it to a mechanic since the auto history of the car had no issues (Stupid me, only to realize later that the car has a major mechanical issue and that is why it ended up in a copart auction). Anyways, lesson learnt and have spent $3000 before taxes.

The car is driveable however the engine heats up pretty soon, within 5 minutes. Showed it to a local mechanic who looked at the engine oil and told me the car needs a new engine since he can see water mixed with the engine oil and sees a frothy oil mixture which is a clear sign of leakage. I have three options right now:

1. Bite the bullet and order a used engine from ebay and spent another 1500 on the car to get it fixed. Let mechanic do his job.
2. Send the car back to auction and have them sell it for me to someone else.
3. Take on the project myself (zero experience with fixing cars however have a buddy who can help out and I am a pretty technical person so I can learn fast)

With option 3, I have a couple of questions:

If there is a leakage and water/coolant is being mixed with the engine oil, I need to find the source of the crack first. I also need to find out where the coolant is leaking. Possible by the help of a dye. I would like to perform these tests by myself.

a. Drain the coolant, if there is any, and flush it multiple times and determine input vs output difference. I can spot the leakage with the dye if I am lucky.
b. Drain engine oil.
c. Use a head gasket/Coolant sealent to repair blown head.
d. Perform an oil change and verify if the coolant leakage is still present.

Please let me know if my strategy is correct or not. I think it is doable, however I definitely need assistance in performing the right task. If some one is in Dallas Area and wants to help, I will be really grateful.

Also if I end up replacing the engine, I can find few near me from car-part.com website. I know the engine are forward and backward compatible for the cruze. Does replacing engine solves my problem. I know we need to find the coolant leakage as well.
Curious what you ended up doing with this car....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts