Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 2012 Chevy Cruz 1.4 l turbo. I had to replace head gasket. I did purchase lock out tools although I could not remove plug to remove tension on timing chain. So I went ahead and removed head. Soon as lifted head the timing tensioner sprung free. I recovered spring but not top of tensioner I believe it went into timing cover. My question is will the top of tensioner just drop into oil pan? Or sit by crank. I guess I am changing head so I should just pull cover and replace chain or the chains are life time right ?

·
Super Moderator
7,475 Posts
So on my 2012 Chevy Cruz 1.4 l turbo. I had to replace head gasket. I did purchase lock out tools although I could not remove plug to remove tension on timing chain. So I went ahead and removed head. Soon as lifted head the timing tensioner sprung free. I recovered spring but not top of tensioner I believe it went into timing cover. My question is will the top of tensioner just drop into oil pan? Or sit by crank. I guess I am changing head so I should just pull cover and replace chain or the chains are life time right ?
Welcome Aboard!
Do you have any pictures?
@Robby

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

So mainly my concern would be cap getting cought and destroying hard part I think I might have no choice but to pull timing cover and use magnets to pull cap from pan
look to me that cap would fall all the way to oil pan

·
Registered
131 Posts
I honestly would pull cover and evaluate chain guides too. I had 95,000 on mine when I pulled my head and they were brittle and grooved deep. I also pulled my oil pan also because I just wanted to clean all gunk thoroughly.

I feel both choices are a good idea. I was happy I chose to, the pan, rods area and oil pump, etc. were so gunked up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly would pull cover and evaluate chain guides too. I had 95,000 on mine when I pulled my head and they were brittle and grooved deep. I also pulled my oil pan also because I just wanted to clean all gunk thoroughly.

I feel both choices are a good idea. I was happy I chose to, the pan, rods area and oil pump, etc. were so gunked up.
Ya definitely a good idea. I did not get water in oil but it was building up on top of valve cover and in my turbo lines not sure if it was just heating water up and evaporating inside engine and I could smell antifreeze in exhaust so I figured I Had water port dumping in 1 cylinder. Number one cylinder looks like it was scrub clean rest have light carbon buildup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts