Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you want 150 hp at the wheel that means about 180 hp at the crank which is a very high strung motor. You will need to go ITB with Megasquirt and probably get the bottom end built to handle 8-9000 rpm's. And increase compression to about 12:1 and run race gas. At this point you will have a dedicated racecar. There a very few NA motors that get 100 hp per liter. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Honda S2000. It's Pwer band is 6000-9000 rpm's and below that it's pretty tame. It can be done! I've seen 600 hp 1.6 liter Honda Civics with huge drag radial up front. They are really fast when they hold together!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this car is special. But, Ferrari 458 get 135 cv/l.

Take a look at compression ratio... :not_worthy:

A car this special demands an exceptional engine. Two figures sum up just how extraordina
ry the 458 Speciale’s mid-rear 4.497 cc V8 really is: its ability to punch out 605 cv at 9000 rpm makes it the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever built at Maranello while its specific power output of 135 cv/l is a world record for a road-going naturally aspirated engine. Honing of the entire car also resulted in an exceptional weight-power ratio of 2.13 kg/cv and the kind of performance that makes it worthy of the Speciale moniker: 0 to100 km/h acceleration in 3” (9”1 0 to 200 km/h) and a record 1’23”5 lap time at Fiorano.

To achieve these results, Maranello’s engineers maximised the 458’s V8 potential, carrying out detailed refinements to all the components, optimising combustion, volumetric and mechanical efficiency. Ambitious targets set at the design phase included boosting torque across the entire power curve by increasing the compression ratio to 14:1, once again a record for an engine of this layout.

http://458speciale.ferrari.com/en/

·
Registered
23 Posts
It wasn't about money. I was talking about n/a engine with specific power higher than 100 hp/l.

I was just showing one example from nowadays. In answer to this:

"There a very few NA motors that get 100 hp per liter. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Honda S2000"

But, if you want a cheaper example, that even you can buy, what about 1996 BMW M3? 321 hp on a 3.2 liter engine.

Or, if you have a little bit more money, 2000 BMW M3, with 343hp on same 3.2 liter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it wrong to have something unique! Some of us don't care about the cost because we want to build something that has never been done before. You are correct as it will probably be a waist of time and money but I will have a great time doing it... I look forward to the ideas these forums bring to the table and I will always enjoy the builds people share.

·
Registered
990 Posts
NO TURBO"S..N/A are my thing...im guessing I need a new coil pack new spark plugs and headers ...im holding out on the tune I just want 150hp to the wheels instead of my 90hp im getting now
Well if you need a tune let me know. 150 shouldn't be so hard to get

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is an odd thread. Why are you going to try and drag a cruze?
  1. 0-60: (MT) 8.9 sec
  2. 0-60: (AT) 9.4 sec
  3. 1/4 mile: 16.5 sec (avg.)
  4. Engine: I4 – 1.8 L DOHC 16 valve
  • HP: 138 hp @ 4900 rpm
  • Torque: 125 lb-ft @ 1850 rpm
  • FWD
  • 6-Speed MT / 6-Speed AT
  • Fuel Economy: (MT) 25/36 / (AT) 22/35 mpg

·
Registered
990 Posts
NOS? 50 shot of that and you'd be good... However you do it I want to hear what you did and your drag results. It sounds like fun! Go for it.
I spray a 50 nano shot thru my 1.4 not sure if I will hook it back up yet but it can be done with tuning.

·
10,705 Posts
What is your budget for this build and how much fabrication are you good at?

People say Honda this and that but the 1.8 ecotec isn't as old as and not as fan based as the Honda.

I'm not here to kill dreams and pee on creativity. If buying a LS trim is because of the initial cost standpoint over the turbo trims, this build may not be for you. Dumping money into the 1.4 is a "easier" project than pioneering the 1.8 world. Best I can say is follow the sonic guys as they will pioneer more than we tend to here. Come back to this thread in 10 years, and this could totally be a different story.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you want 150 hp at the wheel that means about 180 hp at the crank which is a very high strung motor. You will need to go ITB with Megasquirt and probably get the bottom end built to handle 8-9000 rpm's. And increase compression to about 12:1 and run race gas. At this point you will have a dedicated racecar. There a very few NA motors that get 100 hp per liter. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Honda S2000. It's Pwer band is 6000-9000 rpm's and below that it's pretty tame. It can be done! I've seen 600 hp 1.6 liter Honda Civics with huge drag radial up front. They are really fast when they hold together!
you don't need to run race gas to get 180 hp, not at all. if 180 hp is your goal that is very doable for decent cost

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I find it a bit strange that some might discourage racing a Chevy Cruze. In Europe, the Cruze has won 4 driver's and manufacturer's championships in the World Touring Car Championship series, beating BMW, Honda, Fiat, etc. with 1.6 liter engines. There must be potential in the engines Chevrolet uses and typically, America gets the most powerful engines. I would have to believe the Cruze with any of it's great engines would make an awesome bracket drag race car where high speed and huge horsepower isn't a necessity and consistency is the winner.

Does anyone remember the Cobalt and it's predecessor both of which hold many racing records. The Cobalt is still the lap record holder at the Nurburgring for compact cars. And the Cobalt 4 cylinder is the fastest 4 cylinder record holder in drag racing having fun a sub 7 second NHRA sanctioned run.

I believe any car has potential and granted, you're not going to beat Z06 Corvettes, but I believe it can be built to surprise bone stock Nissan 340Zs and such.

·
Registered
151 Posts
All these guys are wrong. Why can't a cruze win at drag racing? People said the same about Hondas toyota nissan and so on. You can make more power with the 1.8 stock then the 1.4.

What are your power goals?
budget?

I if I had a 1.8 I would do full header intake and cat back and a nano kit and a Tune.

Or a basic t3/t4 turbo set up would work good search online for DIY turbo manifolds and see what fits your budget ebay hondatech CL look for used turbo parts for a good $2500 you can have a good set up with a tune.

My dream build is a all motor high comp 1.8 with homemade ITBs and a 100 shot nano kit I have a weakness for N2o

Just noticed your in LA if your dead on about boosting the 1.8 contact Henry at 2stepmotorsports he has good pricing on custom stuff and has one of the best tuners at doitdyno
This internals of the 1.8L are for built for NA. The 1.8L doesn't have forged rods or the same pistons as a turbo. It's just like people who own NA Buick Regals from the 80's thinking they could turbo charge their NA 3.8L block, without gutting the rotating assembly. However, I do believe the 1.4L turbo with its stock internals, upgraded valve train, ported head and tune will be able to put out at least 300hp. Just need the time and money. I like the idea that someone mentioned of putting a sequential turbo on the 1.4L. I have seen a 1.6L turbo v6 put 600hp.

Anyway, you want a dragstrip beast. Sell your Cruze and look around for an 86 or 87 Grand National or 86 T-Type or 87 Turbo-T. You can find a decent one for $10 to $15k and with bolt ons they will kick the **** out of a lot of newer much more expensive cars on the round today. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know this car is special. But, Ferrari 458 get 135 cv/l.

Take a look at compression ratio... :not_worthy:

A car this special demands an exceptional engine. Two figures sum up just how extraordina
ry the 458 Speciale’s mid-rear 4.497 cc V8 really is: its ability to punch out 605 cv at 9000 rpm makes it the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever built at Maranello while its specific power output of 135 cv/l is a world record for a road-going naturally aspirated engine. Honing of the entire car also resulted in an exceptional weight-power ratio of 2.13 kg/cv and the kind of performance that makes it worthy of the Speciale moniker: 0 to100 km/h acceleration in 3” (9”1 0 to 200 km/h) and a record 1’23”5 lap time at Fiorano.

To achieve these results, Maranello’s engineers maximised the 458’s V8 potential, carrying out detailed refinements to all the components, optimising combustion, volumetric and mechanical efficiency. Ambitious targets set at the design phase included boosting torque across the entire power curve by increasing the compression ratio to 14:1, once again a record for an engine of this layout.

http://458speciale.ferrari.com/en/
Back in 1986 Buick got over 800 HP out of their stage 2 v6 - 226ci NA. Their fastest run in a NA v6 is 8.8x seconds at 15x mph. I'm not sure of the weight of the vehicle. That's pretty special too me, considering it was nearly 30 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
273 Posts
get a different car? lol these cars just aren't meant for this kind of stuff
Neither was a Honda civic. My last one hit 12s... I got a buddy with a late 80s 500hp Toyota tercel with a jdm 1.4 liter. Thousands of people have bugs that hit wheelies. Hitler didn't see that one coming when he commissioned the little 20hp people's car.

Also, you do know that these things repeatedly place very, very well in autocross racing in Europe, right? They are the lightest in its class (in the US) and outhandle most others in its class (so sayeth the car and driver. Lol).

If you want to do drag, you are going to need to ditch the auto (can't think of another transmission that will bolt up and take the abuse) for a 6 speed. I heard there is a company that makes an LSD for these but I haven't researched it yet. Solid mounts, lots of fuel, e85, a big ass turbo, custom axles, probably gut it. I doubt without some MAJOR internal work for a ridiculous amount of boost, you will hit 12s, but when you get to that point you will likely want to start looking into a roll bar/cage. Safety should be your main concern. Lower it, extremely good tires, bigger, higher quality brakes, braided lines. Ummm. Probably stiffen the whole body (whiteline everything. Their whole catalog. Stiff chassis will but that power to the ground instead of losing it in body to and twist). I absolutely know these things could hit 12s, or better, but how fast you want to go depends on how deep your wallet can take you, especially being safe abiut it. Hitting a 10 means nothing if you wreck and die before you pick up your time slip. ;} I wanna see it though. If you ever move forward hit me up if you are looking for tuning. I'm I california, but yeah. Just a thought. Hope you do it. Fast cars that people always talk down on make me smile. That's why I like my car. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts