Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a 2012 chevy cruze 1.8lt. I love my car and i have only owned it about 6 months. My car jerks intermittently on the foot of a hill, both ascending and descending, at no great speed. Is this normal?

I took the car to the dealership today and the ran a diagnostic scan and found no problem. but to my knowledge the jerking is quite violent and i don't think it is normal. On one occasion it repeatedly jerked about 3 times.

I have also experienced jerking on the highway (flat surface) and I have also noticed at times when I shift into D from P, my car rolls back a bit like if in Reverse wen i release off the brake.

I am very confused and worried. can anyone offer sum assistance, it would be greatly appreciated

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
It could be a clunky downshift into 2nd gear. Not sure why it would be clunky. Automatic transmissions can be clunky at times, though.

The rolling back is the car putting itself into Neutral when stopped and in Drive. Supposedly it's a fuel-saving measure.

How many miles on it? It does have the 100k mile powertrain warranty, so it has a long time under warranty yet. I'd drive it for now, and bring it back when it starts doing it consistently.

Reactions: iKermit

· Resident Derp
2,800 Posts
I have a similar jerk that happens the most when downshifting into 3rd gear in manumatic, or in automatic if I romp on it to speed up around someone, and happen to let off a half second before it is about to up shift, and then it just kills all power and then WHOA [jerks a new one as the transmission grabs].

Also, I've found that ever since ~25-30K miles, if I'm driving for more than 10 minutes, then shift into reverse after stopping and try to give it gas before rolling for close to a foot to get it started, it jerks 2-4 times and then goes. I might be to blame for this, but my transmission still shifts normally in auto, and I can shift without jerks in manu-mode so i'll ride it out.

EDIT: I also have the 1.8, which for the 1.4T owners, has a slightly different top end and first gear ratios, so i'm not entirely sure how much help/similarity there is between the two transmissions [no offense :p].

Reactions: iKermit

· Resident Derp
2,800 Posts
Hi, I have just experienced this repeated jerking when i change into reverse gear. has anyone had a similar experince or can offer any advice? thnx
Finally someone else with the same problem as me :D!!

My experience with it is to simply come to a stop, shift into reverse, wait a second, then take your foot off the brake and wait until it starts to slowly roll before giving it gas. Treat it like a manual transmission, you gotta get it going first or the clutch will give out.

· Lyrical Wordsmith
6,632 Posts
Finally someone else with the same problem as me :D!!

My experience with it is to simply come to a stop, shift into reverse, wait a second, then take your foot off the brake and wait until it starts to slowly roll before giving it gas. Treat it like a manual transmission, you gotta get it going first or the clutch will give out.
Make that 3, always happens to me, it jerks into reverse like it hates life

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi, I have just experienced this repeated jerking when i change into reverse gear. has anyone had a similar experince or can offer any advice? thnx
Hey cruze_nadz I would suggest that you take the vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer. A diagnosis is an important part in determining the cause of the jerking and nature of the concern. It also helps to determine the estimated cost of repairs. Once a proper diagnosis has been conducted by a GM dealership you can decide how you want to proceed. I would be happy to locate your nearest dealer for you. If you would like for me to do that please send me a private message. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.