Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please house can you lecture me on the possible problems associated with 2012 chevy cruze 2lt and if possible, any solutions or help to deal with such issues or prblem. Thank you

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry, the coil pack is located just above and connects to the spark plugs. If vehicle hesitates, stalls, or stumbles on acceleration, this would be the first thing I would have looked at. Other than that , I haven't encountered any problems with my car. (1.4Liter turbo, 56,000 miles)

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Please house can you lecture me on the possible problems associated with 2012 chevy cruze 2lt and if possible, any solutions or help to deal with such issues or prblem. Thank you
Why worry on what might happen? It is a 100% probability that you will experience a problem with your car. When that happens we take our car to the car doctor. No one is here to lecture you although if you have a specific concern we will be glad to assist with it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, the coil pack is located just above and connects to the spark plugs. If vehicle hesitates, stalls, or stumbles on acceleration, this would be the first thing I would have looked at. Other than that , I haven't encountered any problems with my car. (1.4Liter turbo, 56,000 miles)
Thank you Rixster for that. If i may know, how did solve that problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why worry on what might happen? It is a 100% probability that you will experience a problem with your car. When that happens we take our car to the car doctor. No one is here to lecture you although if you have a specific concern we will be glad to assist with it!
:goodjob:

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
i am not an automobile technical person
In that case, I'd suggest locating a dealer with a good service department. You may also want to look into buying a GM service plan (don't go with a 3rd party, only GM). That will cover you for any problems.

All cars will encounter a problem at some point. The key is to have a plan to deal with it.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In that case, I'd suggest locating a dealer with a good service department. You may also want to look into buying a GM service plan (don't go with a 3rd party, only GM). That will cover you for any problems.

All cars will encounter a problem at some point. The key is to have a plan to deal with it.
Well noted please

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wow, it costs $3,183.72 to rent a three bedroom apartment in City Centre, Accra Ghana per month, with an average monthly income after taxes of only $382.83 after taxes?

Guess I would be worried too.

Since I was planted in a dirt poor family here, learned at a very early age how to repair my own vehicles, also pays to drive them sanely, they last a lot longer this way. Mater of fact learned how to do a lot of things, like building my own home at a third of the cost of buying a ready made one.

One thing that has changed, working in the automotive field, and making a good paycheck, could get most of my parts for free. That changed since I am retired now, like anyone else, have to pay for them. And the paycheck is not so high.

Someone mentioned a coil pack, consists of four coils all glued together and cost $80.00 here in the USA. If one coil goes bad, have to replace all four of them.

If mine goes, will make darn sure its the problem, but also the victim if the spark gap in one of the spark plugs is too large. Have wound my own coils, for like an ATF, want an arm and a leg for these, you think automotive is bad. Or maybe I will switch to a coil on plug that is a far more intelligent way to do the same thing, only have to replace one, not the whole darn thing.

In my long history of automotive repair, and even design, parts have never been cheaper to manufacture today, but the replacement parts have never been more expensive. To me, this is nothing short of being criminal, but yet the people put up with it.

Paying some really dumb kid 95 bucks an hour to work on my car is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Someone mentioned a coil pack, consists of four coils all glued together and cost $80.00 here in the USA. If one coil goes bad, have to replace all four of them.

If mine goes, will make darn sure its the problem, but also the victim if the spark gap in one of the spark plugs is too large.
I got a CEL for misfire back in early November during a long trip, about 100 miles after filling up at a small town Mobil gas station with 91E0(probably a low volume station). Since I was at 85,000 miles beyond the recommended 60,000 spark plug interval I purchased new plugs online as well as a coilpack. Total cost was under $125.

The reason I bought the coilpack before seeing if I needed one? With adding a second order and shipping again plus having to wait an additional few days to get parts It made more sense to just replace the coil pack while replacing the plugs, especially since the old coil pack has to be removed and could tear a spark plug boot in the process. I now have my old coilpack as a spare.

I checked my old spark plug gaps after 85K every single plug was at .028. Even with new plugs and coil pack I got the misfire code again under load, which went away with 2 half tank fill ups of fresh premium from a high volume station. The CEL has not returned in 7,000+ miles. Seems I could have went longer on the original plugs and coilpack, I just got some bad gasoline.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Same problem here with my motorhome, got water in the gas at $3.54 per gallon with a terrible misfire, so bad, had to switch on the hazards and pull to the side of the road.

Barely made it to the next town, got a new fuel filter, and since I have an electric fuel pump in this thing, had my wife switch it on to get some good gas flow. Threw in a couple of cans of heat, and was good to go. On this thing had to crawl under, a 1982. Easier with fuel injection, and still a major problem. A net search revealed some odd 3,500 gas stations have water in the gas. Major problem is burying these things underground.

With FI, just connect a fuel pressure gauge, hot wire the fuel pump, has a side valve to drain the water out into a container, and very easy to see water in the gas.

Same with our airports around here, had to get special permission to install tanks above ground, put a double chain link fence around them and 50,000 no smoking signs.

Had a very bad misfire after taking off not once but twice in my lifetime. Both times, I broke FAA regulations, made a very careful 180 and landed the planes safely on airport grounds without crashing into someones home and getting killed myself. Ha, thought they were going to ground me, but gave me a pat on the back instead.

Coil is a very basic device, three terminals on a ferrite core, with a coil of wire around it. One to the spark plug, center tap of the coil to 12V, third to the collector of gated bipolar transistor. In theory, should last forever. Can find corroded connectors to it, or poorly soldered connectors, but gone to either spot or ultrasonic welding. Most dreaded is a shorted turn, sucks up all the spark, have a tester for this, so no whether its good or bad, plus high voltage testers.

That epoxy layer is thin, much softer material is used underneath that can be scraped away, silastic is the name. Ha, can peek inside to check the internal connections.

No more ignition modules, part of the ECU now, saves wires and money, some as high as $1,300.00, if one of the transistors is bad, just replace that, have other uses for that 1,300 bucks, like paying taxes and eating.

In 1964, cost $2.35 to make a voltage regular, electromechanical, lots of copper wire, tungsten contacts, hand assembly, galvanized base, and a painted cover with four plated brass terminals on it. And this was in 1964 money, today that voltage regulator only cost 67 cents to make, and like printing newspapers. And that is at todays dollars. Just one component in a vehicles.

Even with todays inflation, and how they are manufactured, a new car shouldn't cost anymore than it did in 1964, hearing this from a guy that knows. And sure don't have all that stainless steel and good bolts.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure clarify that I have not taken a Cruze coil pack apart, based on theory as how that cavity should be potted. And this is the way we did it when we were making components in the USA

Seen others where the entire cavity had epoxy poured into it, next to impossible to scrape it out. The they key reason for failure was that epoxy has a much greater rate of thermal expansion than the more delicate components inside. This literally tore those components apart. And that was the key reason for failure. Hope the Cruze coil pack is not this way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts