• BUICK VERANO 2012
  • CHEVROLET CAMARO 2012
  • CHEVROLET CRUZE 2012
  • CHEVROLET SONIC 2012
Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:

General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2012 Buick Verano vehicles manufactured December 2, 2011 to July, 16, 2012, Chevrolet Cruze vehicles manufactured December 7, 2011 to July 25, 2012, Chevrolet Sonic vehicles manufactured December 5, 2011 to August 2, 2012, and Chevrolet Camaro vehicles manufactured December 1, 2011 to June 11, 2012. The driver side frontal air bag has a shorting bar which may intermittently contact the air bag terminals.CONSEQUENCE:

If the bar and terminals are contacting each other at the time of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's frontal air bag, that air bag will not deploy, increasing the driver's risk of injury.REMEDY:

GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering wheel air bag coil, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Chevrolet owners may contact GM at 1-800-222-1020. Buick owners may contact GM at 1-800-521-7300. Note: This is an expansion of recalls 12V-522 and 13V-023.NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

NameDescriptionSize(KB)
RCAK-14V300-7341.pdfRecall Acknowledgement49
RCDNN-14V300-9273P.pdfDefect Notice(Part 573)168

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Thanks, I missed that one.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this for USA vehicles only, or International as well?
Because National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) mandate is vehicle safety in the United States and its' territories, this recall applies to affected Chevrolet Cruze automobiles operating in its' jurisdiction. This does not necessarily mean, however, that only Cruze automobiles sold and resident in its' jurisdictional area are affected.

Aforementioned said, Cruzes manufactured at Lordstown Assembly (USA) during the period targeted by this recall might also be affected, even though they operate outside the United States. This includes Cruze automobiles sold in Canada, Israel and perhaps elsewhere.

Whether or not this recall might also eventually affect Cruzes built outside the United States is unknowable to me, a private individual. If your Cruze is affected, one would hope that your nation's appropriate regulatory agency and/or the GM Chevrolet distributor in your region would notify you in a timely manner using established notification protocols.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you.

Here in South Africa vehicle manufacturers and suppliers tend to keep matters like these "hidden" in the hope that the public won't catch on to it. Many times we "stumble" across it when a vehicle is taken in for a routine service and we're informed that a,b,c was also done during the service as there's a recall.

If we don't follow up with the dealers regularly on recall matters, we won't know about them. The obvious exceptions are when the media get's a hold of it via International recall notices.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If you impact an object your head tends to lunge forward, and if short, like 5'5" your head would go toward the center of the steering wheel, and if the air bag goes off, could snap your neck. This happened to a friend of mine driving a 95 Park Ave. Didn't kill him, but was in the local hospital for nine weeks. And this was just in a fender bender type accident.

Get concerned about this with a 5'3" wife, maybe its better that these air bag don't go off. Unless they are not making these air bags in the Cruze less powerful. They already know these things kill kids with a real simple solution, toss them in the back seat.

While a shoulder belt restricts upper body movement, head is still free to move. It seems like the deaths I hear about the most is where the individuals are thrown from the vehicle because they were not wearing their belts. But don't have the statistics on this.

If I catch myself driving cross handed, move that hand to the side, could be killed by my own fist. If there is any safety consideration with air bags, pay far more attention to the road, don't want that thing blasting in my face, well maybe in my chest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts