Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coolant reservoir leak

Today my daughters 2012. Cruze had very little coolant in the reservoir. Not sure where it is leaking from or where the coolant went . I went a head and changed the cap out and removed the unit and checked for cracks underneath. This is the second time I have filled the case.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you will read my post you will learn that the gauge we have is useless, you will boil the coolant without even knowing it! Then the original thermostat is opening "too high" so if you have air into the system or your system is not very well pressurized then you will boil the coolant to a much lower temperature. I did a lot of tests on a few Eco and replacing the thermostat was the best solution. These days are -5F in my area and had no issues with the heater, and during the summer also no more boiling coolant due to the new thermostat. I did the change for a few other cars and none of my friends had issues anymore. If you argue about the thermostat is opening "too low" and "performances" then let me tell you that I didn't see any major change on MPG..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, I have a new reservoir tank and cap arriving within a few days, with the beefier O-rings. This should solve my pressure issue (assuming that is what is happening) so we'll see if the new thermostat does the trick. It already boiled with it, but hopefully, with the pressure situation solved, should be good but replacing the thermostat alone, was not the solution.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Well, I have a new reservoir tank and cap arriving within a few days, with the beefier O-rings. This should solve my pressure issue (assuming that is what is happening) so we'll see if the new thermostat does the trick. It already boiled with it, but hopefully, with the pressure situation solved, should be good but replacing the thermostat alone, was not the solution.
Get some coolant dye and put it in once you're done with the swap out. This dye leaves a visible residue near any leaks.

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Good call, I've heard others were given it by their local GM dealership.
I got mine free but it was while my Cruze was under the B2B warranty. Even if it's not free, a bottle is only $10-15 so it's well worth it to track down leaks.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts