Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the codes the shop got. Had check engine light, service stabilitrak, service traction control. Car was running so rough & dying constantly could only limp it home & got it towed to my mechanic's shop when they could get to it. They think turbo replacement is in order. What do folks think?

Also any recommendations for replacement turbo--after market or OEM?

Thanks for any help!

david

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thebigzeus. i've had off & on underboost code (P0299) that goes away after a bit for a couple of years. Had the fault code for the throttle body assembly about a month or so ago after a stretch of the car going into limp mode off & on, particularly on the highway, but then restarting fine after shutting it off & sitting for anywhere from a minute or less to about 5 minutes. Usually would have a check engine light on restart but the car seemed mostly to run fine.

The primary symptom each time was brief (split second or two) hesitation while climbing or accelerating--under load--that seemed almost like an interruption of fuel flow or something similar. It would even out after that & run OK until it went into limp mode. i wasn't able to get a code for a few weeks of this because consistently the next day or by the time i could get access to a scan tool at the local parts place the check engine light would be off again & the car would run fine until under load conditions on the highway again. i finally caught it when i could get it scanned & got the code for the throttle body. That was replaced & the car seemed to run fine though i still got that occasional hesitation or bucking under load on the highway.

The first time on the highway after the throttle body was replaced i had the hesitation again then a check engine then service stabilitrak, service traction control & then a flashing check engine. Pulled off & shut it down. Waited a minute & it restarted fine with check engine light on but seemed to run OK apart from the occasional hesitation/bucking problem. The check engine would be off the next day so this occurred a couple times on highway runs over two weeks. The day after the second incident it was so bad i had to restart every block or so just trying to run out for a prescription & to get it scanned, less than 5 miles. It was so bad i couldn't even make it to the parts place for the scan, died in traffic where i couldn't push it off. i managed to get it going again enough to limp it home but it was blowing smoke, looked white to me so i thought un-burned fuel but the shop said that it's burning oil, never did that before, & they think the turbo blew oil into the intake.

The car has 127K miles on it, has not had a turbo replacement but been through a couple of valve covers in the last 30,000 miles. It's been otherwise pretty well maintained, regular oil changes, &c. Not sure what else to do & my mechanic thinks i need to do the turbo. i've had those other codes before around the underboost. In December 2019 had it to a dealer because of a fault code requiring dealer only access (U0100, U0109) & also P0300, & P0299 . They wanted to replace the turbo but ended up replacing the coil, tested vacuum connections, &c., for turbo & found no leaks, found under boost, but replaced the coil & cleaned cylinders & misfire went away. All other codes cleared. They also did a compression test & said it was fine (155 PSI if i remember).

i'm at a loss. i have had good experience with the shop i've been using for some years & they don't see another fix besides replacing the turbo.

Anything you or anyone can add would be greatly appreciated. Vacuum still seems to be fine, the last valve cover replacement was this past November & it clearly had the vacuum leak. Think i may have gotten P0299 with that too but don't remember for sure.

Thanks!

david

Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
I'd start with that knock sensor error. Any weird noises coming from the timing chain area of the motor? Is the clip on the plug on the coil pack broken by chance?

Turbo should be a last resort. Check the whole intercooler/turbo air plumbing system for boost leaks FIRST.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks J! As always your posts are always helpful & clear. i am unfortunately committed at this point with a turbo ordered. The shop may not have checked the coil pack clip but i believe they checked for boost leaks although it's tough to keep the car running long enough to check those things thoroughly. i alerted them when i saw your post this afternoon, had set email alerts so mentioned they should check that. i'm keeping 'em crossed this works out but kind of feel like they had mostly ruled other stuff out so committed to the turbo replacement. This car has been something of an albatross for me so i really hope this is progress though i have a sinking feeling...,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.