Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2012 cruze eco 6mt that is at ~27000 miles. Around 15k miles I started to notice a grind from 2nd to 3rd. Over the last year it got progressively worse. Now 1st to 2nd has a slightly notchy grind, and 2nd to 3rd is a much more noticeable notchy grinding. If I double clutch 2nd to 3rd, it goes in very smoothly 80% of the time. I just recently changed my trans fluid, but I stuck with the oem AC Delco fluid rather than using a different synthetic brand. Anyone else with eco 6mt experiencing this? Any remedies or methods of shifting to reduce the notchy shifting?

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had a notchy feeling from 1st to 2nd in my LT 6 mt when I first got it. I made the switch to 2 qts of Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid, and it made all the difference. My transmission shifts like butter now. If you aren't willing to try that, I'd say just take it to the dealership. You should still be under warranty from the sound of it (powertrain). My dad (GM tech) told me he had a MT Cruze making a whining noise in the transmission, and GM just replaced the whole transmission. Best of luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
When you changed your trans fluid did you notice anything in the oil? Any fine grains, small pieces of debris? Does anyone know what the dealer says as to how long the trans fluid should last and how many miles to change the fluid at?

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
The service manual for the 2014 & 2015 Cruze (same transmission as our 2012s) shows to change the synchromesh every 45K miles. The OEM fluid is really only good for 10 to 15K miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you changed your trans fluid did you notice anything in the oil? Any fine grains, small pieces of debris? Does anyone know what the dealer says as to how long the trans fluid should last and how many miles to change the fluid at?
Thanks for the replies guys. I did notice some very small pieces of what I believe was metal. This probably came from the excessive grinding. I might bring it up with the dealer soon and see what they will do. I do drive the car very spirited but I still average 35mpg with 90% city driving. 3rd gear feels like there is a bump before it goes in gear, very notchy feeling. I understand that the AMSOIL synchromesh may improve the trans shifting as many have said, but I dont feel comfortable using it while under warranty. Two more years and then I may consider using it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I as well have a '12 eco manual with ~40K miles. Still shifts as smooth as it did when I bought it new. If I were in your shoes I would take it to the dealer. That is something that should be covered under warranty. When you take it in I wouldn't tell them that you have been having this issue at 15K miles and drove it 12K miles more

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2012 cruze eco 6mt that is at ~27000 miles. Around 15k miles I started to notice a grind from 2nd to 3rd. Over the last year it got progressively worse. Now 1st to 2nd has a slightly notchy grind, and 2nd to 3rd is a much more noticeable notchy grinding. If I double clutch 2nd to 3rd, it goes in very smoothly 80% of the time. I just recently changed my trans fluid, but I stuck with the oem AC Delco fluid rather than using a different synthetic brand. Anyone else with eco 6mt experiencing this? Any remedies or methods of shifting to reduce the notchy shifting?

Thanks
Hi CruzeEco96,

Were you able to bring this to your dealership's attention? I definitely want to apologize for the continuing concerns regarding this noise, and would be happy to assist. Feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership if you should need assistance.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts