Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a 2012 Cruze Eco with the 6sp automatic. I do not want to get the manual, because
my wife can't drive a manual and she doesn't want to learn. What are the Eco Automatic owner's out there getting
in the real world mileage. I know that the sticker says 26city/39highway. I have read various articles quoting
highway mileage 40 and above and some mileage just averaging low 30s.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why not just get the LT Automatic? Most of the fuel economy of the Eco comes from the manual transmission and the low rolling resistance tires. With an automatic, the Eco is just a Cruze without a spare tire.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
What Raider said. If you're buying an automatic, skip the Eco.
I somewhat agree, however, after the tune the TCM handles the economy side MUCH better and the lower weight is a big help in that... BTW, I have a 2011 Eco tuned. I see 29 city and 45-50 highway depending on speeds.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
The Eco automatic still has the LRR tires and other eco wind-cheating bits of the Eco manual. It doesn't have the lighter weight, but does have all the other bits.

I'd still get it. It's still going to get better real-world FE than the LT. If you do a lot of highway travel, it'll pay off.

Reactions: boats4life

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Ok, best advice I can give you is this. The LTZ / LT non-Ecoed Autos and the Eco Auto have the same gear ratios. The only difference is that the Eco Auto has the aerodynamic improvements. The EPA cycle only has a 1 MPG difference. If you are commuting locally around backroads, interstate spurs (3 digit interstates), parkways, beltways, etc. where the speed limit is 50-60 mph, the difference between the two is probably nothing. The Auto Eco will most likely have its aerodynamic improvements kick in at high speeds because it handles the wind much better. From my Cruze, it could best the EPA easily at 55-60 mph, but above 65 on real interstate driving the wind starts messing with the gas mileage and it gets downright ugly if you have a headwind. The Auto Eco probably handles that better.

So if you take a ton of road trips, get the Eco. If you just commute locally to work that doesn't require you to get out on the open road, you probably won't gain anything to offset the price jump (and lack of sexy RS package).

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Agreed on all accounts. I have a 2LT automatic and see roughly the same numbers +/- 2mpg
I should add that I have a heavy foot and use the sport mode religiously. :th_coolio:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd say buy the model you can get a better deal on. Personally, I do not see any substantial reasons to choose the auto Eco over the LT, so price would be my deciding factor. For what it's worth I have a '12 Eco manual. I wanted the manual transmission and I am happy with it. I did not consider the auto at all.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd get a new wife...

I kid, I kid.

I'd say get whatever makes you happy and what you can get a good deal on. Driving habits and the type of drive you have play just as much a role as all the other mechanical bits and features. I don't like automatics, so naturally I was going to get a manual. I drove the Eco and 1LT back to back and liked the 1LT much better. More comfortable ride, less road noise, grippier tires (had the LRR tires on my Cobalt and I hated them), and felt somewhat more peppy with the different gear ratios. After talk to a few other people with Ecos, the beltway stop and go kills mileage, and I'm now seeing within 1 mpg of what they said they were getting.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
When I was buying my 2012, I was looking at 1LT's vs ECO Automatics. I spent three months looking at various dealers for pricing and the car that I wanted. It turned out that the ECO Auto car equipped exactly the same as the 1LT was $900 more. I tried hard to close that price difference and go with the ECO, but it turned out I got the 1LT Auto. Currently getting 35 mpg with about 80/20 Highway City driving.

Sure we're all aware of the ECO benefits, but it seemed like stock of ECO Auto's was a bit less selection than the 1LT's for competitive bidding dealerships against each other.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Law of SUPPLY & DEMAND -- "...they won't SUPPLY it, if you don't DEMAND it..."

...also applies to: cars, parts, service and quality, as well as value!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.