Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my car this morning to the local dealer because engine coolant was leaking on the garage floor. I had to refill the expansion tank during the last three weeks. About ten days ago, the radiator fan was blowing when I reached home. Then afterward, I noticed that the temperature gage was indicating a much lower temperature than usual. Up to that, when the engine temperature had stabilized, the gage needle was vertical varying a small amount either left or right. Now the needle shows two to three graduations to the left, thus lower.

The dealer replaced the water pump per service recall 14371. However the temperature gage still indicates two to three graduations cooler than normal. I called the service advisor who told me that the technician found nothing wrong with the coolant temperature. I do not understand and would appreciate a competent explanation of what is going on. Thank you for your help.

My car is a 2012 Cruze Eco, manual transmission, 66,400 miles, average 39.3 MPG.

Georges Hebrant

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
George, on the vehicle information displays do you have a digital temperature readout? If so, monitor this readout and let us know what it reads. Any temperatures from 180 to 230 is normal operating range for this car. The temperature needle moves very little when in this range.

·
Registered
574 Posts
George, on the vehicle information displays do you have a digital temperature readout? If so, monitor this readout and let us know what it reads. Any temperatures from 180 to 230 is normal operating range for this car. The temperature needle moves very little when in this range.
Does my 2014 ltz cruze have this read out on the DIC? if yes I must be dumb & never seen it but I barely drive it either.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your reply. I located the digital temperature readout which read 91 deg. F. So I took the car for a spin to see what the temperature behavior is. It climbed up to 178 deg. F when the thermostat opened and the temperature decreased to 169 and came back up gradually to 174 deg. F. The indication varied from a low of 167 to a high of 178 deg. F.

This short test definitely indicates that the coolant temperature is too low and much lower than it was for the last 3 1/2 years. The next question is why? Is the electronically controlled thermostat at fault?

Georges Hebrant

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply. I located the digital temperature readout which read 91 deg. F. So I took the car for a spin to see what the temperature behavior is. It climbed up to 178 deg. F when the thermostat opened and the temperature decreased to 169 and came back up gradually to 174 deg. F. The indication varied from a low of 167 to a high of 178 deg. F.

This short test definitely indicates that the coolant temperature is too low and much lower than it was for the last 3 1/2 years. The next question is why? Is the electronically controlled thermostat at fault?

Georges Hebrant
Is your car aftermarket tuned? Those numbers are definitely too low for the stock 2012 temperature calibrations.

Bostonboy, sometime during the 2012 model year GM in their infinite wisdom removed this display. I took a guess that Georges might have it.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Stuck thermostat is a power train item - covered for 5 years /100,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again thank you for your reply. I do not understand what "aftermarket tuned" means. My car is still as delivered originally from the factory in November 2011. I maintain the car myself. Besides two recalls, so far nothing has been done to the car, except the usual oil and filter changes, checking fluids levels and tire pressures.

I gather from reading other replies that the thermostat may need to be replaced under the drivetrain warranty. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow morning about this problem.

Georges Hebrant

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was at the dealer this morning to get the faulty thermostat replaced. The service advisor tells me that this thermostat is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty. Would someone please send me the Chevrolet document that states that this thermostat replacement IS covered by the powertrain warranty? I'd appreciate it much. Thank you!!

Georges Hebrant

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I was at the dealer this morning to get the faulty thermostat replaced. The service advisor tells me that this thermostat is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty. Would someone please send me the Chevrolet document that states that this thermostat replacement IS covered by the powertrain warranty? I'd appreciate it much. Thank you!!

Georges Hebrant
Per your warranty manual....cooling system/powertrain....coverage begins at the cooling system inlet and ends at the cooling system out on the engine....this INCLUDES the thermostat.

If the dealer performs a test claim the warranty printout will include the letter 'P' after the labor operation, indicating this is a powertrain type claim.

The info about the claim type comes from me.....the info about coverage comes from the warranty booklet in your glovebox (hopefully in your glovebox)

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
You can find it here, but it's not year specific. I think the dealer's confusion is "Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core." So, parts of the cooling system are excluded - but as Robby pointed out, everything that's part of the engine IS covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer called my back about three hours later to tell me that the car was ready!! They replaced the thermostat under the powertrain warranty. Driving back home, the coolant temperature shown on the digital indicator is between 215 and 225 deg F. This is 40 deg F higher than before.

What I do not understand is the dealer order sheet states: "Checked thermostat operation, found working OK at this time. Scanned for malfunction codes - none found. Per customer satisfaction replace thermostat". How is it possible that the thermostat is found working OK when the indicated temperature is 40 deg F lower than normal? How come that the engine computer did not register a fault code? I'd appreciate a sensible explanation. Thank you much.

Georges Hebrant

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Basically, the dealership didn't officially consider it a fault because it didn't set a check engine light. But they covered it as a "good will" warranty repair. That's how I read the wording anyways.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
I agree with BowtieGuy. The dealership didn't run the car long enough to bring it to temperature which would have shown the faulty thermostat. They took your word for it and apparently called GM and got the approval to replace the thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
The computer has no reason to set a fault code since the coolant temp was within the operating parameters of the system.

We all agree...it was opening too soon but the computer only looks at range of operation......so, no code.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you very much for all the responses I received on this low coolant temperature problem. I appreciate the help and the information I got.

Georges Hebrant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts