Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I want to program an additional key for my 2012 chevy cruzeeco .part #13500222 The second key was stolen out of my truck when it was broken into sometime ago. Dealer say’s they have to program the key( $69for the key $110 to program it ), although the owners manual shows a procedure for the owner to do it. Googled it but got conflicting information. Can I program a new key myself? If I bought aused remote and replaced the key blade could a previously used remote beprogrammed to my cruze?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You can program the key yourself. It only takes about 5 minutes.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Have to admit to be lost on this subject, 2012 owners manual says if you have an original remote that works, open that trap door next to the auxiliary power outlet on the center console. No such door on my Cruze, there is a trap door in a recess next to the power outlet. Opened that, suppose to be a key slot under it to insert, no such key slot.

Is an alternate procedure if you don't have a working remote, like using the key in that driver's door lock to open and unlock it five times within ten seconds, then suppose to get a screen on the DIC for further instructions. But say this is only good for one remote, for addition remotes, have to insert that now programmed key into that trap door slot that doesn't exist.

Ha, anybody here program a new remote?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Buy a key/remote for your VIN number. After that just turn the ignition to run without starting with a known good key. Turn it off/remove key. Within 15 seconds put the new key in the lock and turn to run without starting. The new key and remote is programed. It really is that easy.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Yes, you can do it yourself. It's easy. I did it recently. Just put in an existing key, turn to run (but don't start the car) remove key, put in new key and turn to run then remove the key. New key is now programmed.

If you car was built for the U.S. market, then you can also program a new key without an existing key, and this procedure will un-program all old keys. To do this, put in the new key and turn to run (without starting the car) the security light on the dash will turn on. Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and the security light will flash. Turn the key to off. Do these steps two more times (total of 30 minutes) then remove the key, then insert the key and start the car. The new key is now programmed and all old keys will no longer work. You shouldn't have any other keys within range of the car when you do this.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Cruze owners manual is loaded with misinformation on this subject, wonder what guy wrote this?

Shop manual does show the procedure if you have one good programmed remote for programming additional remotes. Of course you need remotes with keys cut to turn on your ignition.

"Adding Keys (Without SPS)

Note:

• To initiate, this procedure requires that 1 learned key be available.
  • A total of 8 keys maybe be learned to a single vehicle.
  • This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
  • The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.

1. With a previously learned key, turn the ignition ON.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF and remove the key.
  3. Within 10 seconds of turning OFF the ignition, insert the key to be learned and turn ON the ignition. The vehicle has now learned the new key and key. "

But if you do not have a programmed remote, do show that ten minute procedure, but claim you need a GM Tech II scanner first to get into SPS mode first, whatever this means.

Both say you can program up to eight remotes.

Ha, after reading about the keys for the Cruze, won't even leave this thing for a second without the remote in my pocket, easiest vehicle in the world to lock yourself out of. If your remote has extra keys on it, like your home and business and is lost or stolen, especially the latter, they have access not only to your home, but business as well.

Not to sound like a male chauvinistic pig, women and their purses, don't even wear clothes with a pocket in them. If their purse is stolen, not only the keys, but their wallet with driver's license, social security and credit cards. Thieve has access to everything.

Happened with my ex, had to block our credit cards, and change the locks for two vehicles and our home. Also with one of my daughters, but just our home locks, didn't care if they took her vehicle would have been doing me a great favor.

Don't get this bit about someone getting your SS number, all they can do with it, is pay FICA taxes that would benefit you. To get benefits, you need a ton of proof to prove your identity, and must be done in person. IRS, both state and federal are claiming they are being hacked to get your refund. Ha, if they hack into mine, would get one hail of a huge tax bill. Rather owe money to the government than try to get our money back.

Its for this reason I feel these way overpriced remotes along with anti-thief is all BS, all they need is one of your keys. But not even a key with flatbed trucks. And the car of itself is of no value, but the parts in it sure are. because replacement parts are way way overpriced.

One thing that does help with these crushed vehicles, not worth repairing so many used parts should be available, ebay is loaded with used like new parts. Whatever, its a crazy world.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I didn't need a tech scanner to do the 3x10 minute procedure. I did it on my car without any issues. The only thing the service manual didn't say is that you need to remove the new key at the end and then put it back in and start the car. If you don't do that then you can put an old key back in and start the car and it cancels the relearn process. I discovered that by trying it out when I bought a new key. I switched the blade from an old fob to a new fob and wanted to unlearn the old fob.

According to the service manual, the tech scanner can do this process without having to wait 3x10 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts