Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m a newbie to the Cruze network. I’m considering purchasing a used 2012 Cruze eco 6-speed manual. It has 135k miles, but drives like its new. Interior, exterior and engine compartment are clean and in great shape. Carfax shows good maintenance records, and no accidents or major surgery. Can anyone share advice on things I should check out or be aware of before purchase?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all, I’m a newbie to the Cruze network. I’m considering purchasing a used 2012 Cruze eco 6-speed manual. It has 135k miles, but drives like its new. Interior, exterior and engine compartment are clean and in great shape. Carfax shows good maintenance records, and no accidents or major surgery. Can anyone share advice on things I should check out or be aware of before purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Hey,
Nice model there! Manual + eco!!

Get under the bonnet and have a look at everything you can. Inspect the engine, open the oil cap (and check dipstick) for spooky white grime. I also look for scratches/screw marks on the underside of the bonnet, that suggest that it has come off in the past (meaning that there actually has been some major surgery).
You probably won't be able to, given it's not yours yet, but take any opportunity to check for leaks under the car and near the radiator

Service-wise, has the proper maintenance schedule been carried out, and do you have evidence of part-replacement at the suggested times?
Either way, for the right price, and if it's the real deal service-wise, you may be in luck.

It's my opinion that all miles are not created equal.
I would readily buy a car with 100k highway miles, but shy away from a car with 60k city miles.
Do you have any info about the previous owner/what it was used for?

See how you go.
How much are they asking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! Oil looks clean and clear. Carfax shows 3 owners. First owner did pretty much all the scheduled maintenance at the dealer, up to about 100,000 miles. The records aren’t great after that. But it’s pretty clear that the next owners didn’t trash it, just based on the condition.

I haven’t been under the car yet, but may try to take al look next time I see it. Also planning to take it to the Chevy dealer for an inspection prior to purchase.

They’re asking $4500 US. I talked them down to $4000 but they’re pretty firm, not willing to go lower.

Overall, I just want to do enough research to feel mildly confident that I’m not going to have to drop several thousand bucks into it right after buying.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I'd say if everything looks good and they'll let you have a mechanic of your choice check it out before you buy, pull the trigger. My '12 Eco 6MT is one of the cars I regret getting rid of most. After the spark plug correction (covered in this forum) and a CAI, the lil Cruze was even more fun to drive and that nice lil sound with every shift made heads turn to see what "beast" was coming at them, but it was just lil ol me in my Cruze Eco!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say if everything looks good and they'll let you have a mechanic of your choice check it out before you buy, pull the trigger. My '12 Eco 6MT is one of the cars I regret getting rid of most. After the spark plug correction (covered in this forum) and a CAI, the lil Cruze was even more fun to drive and that nice lil sound with every shift made heads turn to see what "beast" was coming at them, but it was just lil ol me in my Cruze Eco!
Thanks for your opinion! This is what I like to hear.

After cruising around the forums for a bit, I’ve seen a lot of potential issues that come up, so I’ve been a little concerned. But it seems like a lot of those issues show themselves at low mileage, and would have come up by now, right?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 2012 eco with a manual. I am currently at 185k. no major issues. the water pump was replaced at about 90k under the special coverage. I also had the negative battery cable replaced under special coverage.

my coolant started to leak from the plastic fitting on the right hand side of the engine so I replaced it and the associated hoses at about 100k

the radiator hoses felt soft at about 150k so I replaced them

I am religious with maintenance

I replaced the battery at about 150k because it was nearing winter and I wanted to be sure it would start every time.

I change my transmission fluid about every 25k. I change the oil when my oil life meter gets between 10 and 15%

I replaced my belt and tensioner at about 175k because I didn't want it to fail while on the road

I changed my brake fluid at 100k

I replaced my valve cover when it failed and did the pcv mod
I recently added a catch can
I also lowered the thermostat temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, this is a great history. Seems like keeping up on maintenance is key. I appreciate hearing from someone with higher mileage. I’d be buying this as a commuter, so I want to make sure I can put some more miles on it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Really interested to see if you go ahead with buying this!
Would be good to keep track of someone buying a high-mileage cruze.
If you do end up buying - PICS PLEASE!
Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts