Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum. Looking for a new car to be doing lots of mileage with, and the Cruze Eco peaked my interest. Looking here though it seems like there might be lots of engine and transmission issues?

Now.. I have a Ford Focus Titanium, and have already been burned to the tune of $5k for a new DCT transmission, and I don't want to be in the same sort of position as this car.

Are the problems widespread with this car? Is it down to people using 87 gas and blowing engines? I note the car I'm interested in has a replaced transmission last year for example. Should I still steer clear.

I genuinely am interested in a cruze btw, and possibly doing some mild turbo tweaks if so.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
The manuals seem to take out shaft bearings and flywheels often.

The automatics (2012+; 2011 had issues) are generally pretty reliable if the fluid's changed - leaking cooler lines are fairly common.

The 1.4T has common water pump, PCV system, turbo, and leak issues, but otherwise, once that stuff has been replaced, they'll run quite a while. Occasionally they do break pistons, but it's not a large number of them.

If looking at a used Cruze, 2014+ would be the best model years to look at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was looking at a 2012 Eco Manual lol. Seems like the worst possibly combo to be considering LMAO. (although the gearbox was replaced in 2016... so I ASSUME that it would be an updated gearbox?)

Going back to the engines... has anyone on here reported issues with cracked/broken pistons and engine failure when using 89 or higher octane? (The car complaint links etc won't show me that kind of feedback).

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Going back to the engines... has anyone on here reported issues with cracked/broken pistons and engine failure when using 89 or higher octane? (The car complaint links etc won't show me that kind of feedback).
The 2011 had some bad pistons. I don't know if that extended to 2012 or not. This car likes higher octane, especially in hot weather, so I don't think that's it.

·
17,486 Posts
Was looking at a 2012 Eco Manual lol. Seems like the worst possibly combo to be considering LMAO. (although the gearbox was replaced in 2016... so I ASSUME that it would be an updated gearbox?)

Gearbox replaced eliminates at least one problem. It's should be the later transmission, yes...at least that's what mine was replaced with.

Pistons - yes on 93. Seems to happen on up to 2014 M.Y, but was most common for 2011. Use a good oil and 93 octane and don't beat the crap out of it, and I *think* you'll be ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco Auto. My first need for service was at 93,000 miles (other than brakes tires and oil changes). It was under warranty so it didn't cost me anything. At 127,000 I needed a water pump. At 187,000 my turbo went out. That's it. I have been averaging 40-42 mpg mixed driving on a 160 round trip commute (89 oct mostly. 93 during the hottest months ). Half highway, half city. I can't complain at all. My total cost of ownership is under 12 cents a mile, below the national average. I may have just been lucky. I DO use only Mobil 1 oil, and I DO regularly add Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas. It's a great non-corrosive treatment that lubes the parts that don't normally get lubed. I would buy one again. Like any machine, take care of it and don't abuse it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Never heard of using 93 octane in an "economy" car like the Cruze. The engine has a knock sensor so 87 is all I've used.

·
17,486 Posts
Never heard of using 93 octane in an "economy" car like the Cruze. The engine has a knock sensor so 87 is all I've used.
Then youve never witnessed all the tiny turbo hamsters have to offer - particularly in the MPG and sub 3000 rpm department. Doesn't make them fast, but makes it more drivable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
I ain't spending another $5 or $6 a tank to go marginally quicker a few times a day. I'll drive one of my other cars if I feel the need for speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go over a mountain on a 100 degree day and you will definitely be able to tell the difference.

87 is a bit sluggish. 89 gives me the best balance of power and economy most of the year. 92/93 for the hottest months.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I ain't spending another $5 or $6 a tank to go marginally quicker a few times a day. I'll drive one of my other cars if I feel the need for speed.
93 octane is 60 cents higher than 87 octane, except it can be 80-90 cents at some of the top tier stations.
A couple weeks ago when gas was $2.12, $3.02 for Shell VPower was a bit too much.
That's why I want to convert my 2017 to flex fuel, ten gallons of 87 and 3 gallons of E85 should pep it up a bit without the excessive cost.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco manual. Water pump replaced twice, slave cylinder replaced once (all under warranty). I replaced the valve cover, turbo oil feed, and camshaft sensor gaskets myself as preventative maintenance. I would buy this car again. I use 87 octane fuel only as it's my daily commuter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had my '12 eco manual trans Cruze since it was new. Been a great car. No issues to speak of. No coolant or transmission repairs. I drive it 42 miles a day to work and back plus we use it for road trips/vacation.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The biggest issues with the 2012 ECO MT were coolant loss, HVAC grease heating up in the winter and smelling like engine coolant in the cabin, and in my case, multiple oil leaks. The gearbox and transmission on the ECO MT was pretty solid. One thing to consider however is that the clutch pad on a 2012 is probably starting to get worn and clutch replacements on the Cruze aren't cheap.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco manual. Water pump replaced twice, slave cylinder replaced once (all under warranty). I replaced the valve cover, turbo oil feed, and camshaft sensor gaskets myself as preventative maintenance. I would buy this car again. I use 87 octane fuel only as it's my daily commuter.
Agreed. I'd still be driving mine if it hadn't been hail totaled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts