Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a new user, and am impressed with the upkeep of this site. This is my first forum registration ever, which I hope illustrates my level of desperation regarding my issue.

My situation:

I have a 2012 Cruze LS. Pretty much as base as you can get, I ONLY have the AUX input in the arm rest console, nothing more.

I find the aftermarket route to be more of a theft invitation than visually pleasing, therefore I wish to add the USB, and based on the well organized posts on this forum, I have concluded (generally) that I need:

1. A PDIM (probably the camaro to add BT while I am at it)
2. The wiring harness that would afford the USB connection
3. The USB connector to replace the blank spot next to the aux input
4. Update the radio firmware, and likely program the new PDIM

The issue:

As another user cleverly suggested on another post, someone in my situation should just pull it all apart and see whats going on. Well that's just what I did and what do you know, there isn't even a PDIM in the slot that contains it. Even more confusing, it does not appear that there is a bare connector that would integrate the "replacement" PDIM.

I saw one user suggest that there are different radios per USB and non-USB setups, however if I know GM, they wouldn't jump costs to make two different receivers simply for that reason alone. Perhaps a different wiring harness yes, but not to stick it to non-USB customers. To verify this, I consulted a disassembly tutorial of a unit that HAS USB, and there were no "extra" connections aside from the large main connector, and antenna connectors.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
There are two different radios for the 2012 base radio. Please pull the head unit and post a picture of the back of the unit. We'll be able to tell you if your radio is physically able to connect a PDIM. Also, which firmware version do you have on the radio. Check the Bluetooth Stereo link in my signature for how to find the firmware version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your sig says hidden content because I have not posted enough apparently. I am familiar with the Menu / Sel function to get the firmware, but that process requires a USB device playing music, which I do not have. Is there another way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two different radios for the 2012 base radio. Please pull the head unit and post a picture of the back of the unit. We'll be able to tell you if your radio is physically able to connect a PDIM. Also, which firmware version do you have on the radio. Check the Bluetooth Stereo link in my signature for how to find the firmware version.
The two base radios should be these #'s:

The only visual difference between the two, is an extra antenna connection, presumably for OnStar?

None of the receivers appear to have any extra connectors, so I'd like to clarify that removing the receiver is actually necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, the USB enabled receivers don't have any extra plugs either. Has anyone accomplished this with a car that did NOT have a PDIM at all when they started? Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts