Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Cruze now for 15 months. Bought it used in almost perfect condition with 32000 miles. I now have 55+ thousand miles. And since I bought it, every time I fill it up, and check the numbers, the trip computer says X gallons used, which varies anywhere from almost a gallon to exactly a gallon LESS than what I put in.... any suggestions as to how to adjust this? Thank you. Darren.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,546 Posts
Just the nature of the beast. They all do it, and it's based on the algorithm that GM uses to determine MPG/fuel used. Some manufacturers are able to get a more accurate estimate from onboard computers than others.

·
2,170 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately there's no way to calibrate it, you just live with it. I use fuelly so I know how many miles I've actually driven over how many gallons I've actually bought making a much more realistic average in my mind.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I drive a semi truck. I know those things get calibrated for sure... The pumps I mean. Look at the sticker on your pump. Most places check calibration. Maybe your paying for a gallon more of fuel than what's going in...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Seems like since I got the emissions recall programming done last summer my pump gallons and gallons used have been much closer. The pump gallons is always a little more but they are closer than before the programming.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The computer for gals used is right on with my diesel model...but you have to spend the time to slowly top off the tank. I can pump another two gallons in the tank if I pump real slow after the nozzle clicks off....but I know most people aren't going to take the time to do that with each fill up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Then get a small gas can, and pump that baby up nice and fast, pull out and the use your 2 gal gas can and slowly add it. I did this at the beginning of a few road trips. I would top it off until it wouldn't stop clicking all the time, and then 2 mins down the road, and a few left and right turns, and it would go from full to off full by a bit. So pull over, add it, and sure enough, all the air is gone by then and it takes what it's supposed to take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts