Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2012 Cruze LT- buzz noise from auto shifter area around 3000 rpm

2586 6
I have a 2012 Cruze LT auto- it has been to the dealer twice for the same issue and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or if GM has a documented fix for it. At acceleration around 3000 rpm a buzz noise comes from the console where the auto shifter is- I can put pressure on the shifter and it stops. It sounds almost like change is vibrating. The dealer told me is is the auto shift cable vibrating against the heater tubes. It took them 2 seperate visits to fix it, however it is back again. They told me they had to reroute things. Anyone else had the same issue? Is there an official GM fix for this? I really want to have some good info before I bring it back a third time. This is really the only issue I have had with the car, but the sound is annoying and embarassing- especially with someone is in the car who I am trying to convince how good the Cruze is and not to buy an import.

Thanks,

Scott
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have a 2012 Cruze LT auto- it has been to the dealer twice for the same issue and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or if GM has a documented fix for it. At acceleration around 3000 rpm a buzz noise comes from the console where the auto shifter is- I can put pressure on the shifter and it stops. It sounds almost like change is vibrating. The dealer told me is is the auto shift cable vibrating against the heater tubes. It took them 2 seperate visits to fix it, however it is back again. They told me they had to reroute things. Anyone else had the same issue? Is there an official GM fix for this? I really want to have some good info before I bring it back a third time. This is really the only issue I have had with the car, but the sound is annoying and embarassing- especially with someone is in the car who I am trying to convince how good the Cruze is and not to buy an import.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,
I do not have information on the fix for this issue, but I would recommend that you have your dealer look into this for you. I would like you to keep me posted. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

· Registered
335 Posts
huh, funny you say that, mine started to do that last night, i couldnt pinpoint area that it was coming from yet. Mine is at a much lower rpm as i never go past 2k rpms.

· Registered
141 Posts
I believe I've heard something similar. Can't say it happens around any particular RPM, and it's not too intrusive for me. As for sounds in the cabin, I hear a lot towards the bottom left side of the windshield.

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI- it took GM getting involved for my dealer to fix it. They told me it was the shifter cable vibrating against the heat pipes. They re-routed the cable twice but it didn't help much. They installed a new shifter cable assembly but the noise returned. They finally removed the center console and had two techs drive it while one located the noise and then zip tied some things out of the way and they solved it- they did that after I complained to GM and trying to fix it multiple time previously. That should have been done the first time. Good luck. Great GM engineering strikes again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.