Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2012 Cruze LT MPG Mystery

1489 7
Looking for some opinions here...

I have a 2012 Cruze LT - Auto.
I bought it August 2015 with 50K miles on it.
When I first got it - MPG was 34-36.
Drove it to Florida Jan 2015 doing 80+ on the expressway and got a very solid 32 mpg.

I have had it to my dealership 3 times for check engine light. The 2nd time they ended up replacing my turbo and the last time was for the waste gate pin/seal.
Within the last 2 months I have noticed a drop in my MPG - it is now 31 no matter what I do.

My driving habits - since day one it has always gotten premium gas.
I drive 100 miles round trip a day for work - only 14 miles of that is expressway - the rest of my drive is 55-60 mph with the cruise set.
I have tried fuel injector cleaners and they don't do anything.

Car is currently at my dealership right now and they are looking it over.
I know it doesn't see like a big deal - but with the miles I put on it, it adds up.
I would think the new turbo they put in it would have IMPROVED my fuel economy - not made it decrease.

Any one else had this issue or think they may have any ideas?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,470 Posts
Replaced tires or operating them at a lower pressure?
Either one or both in combination will show as a small (such as you describe) decrease in mileage assuming your driving habits (such as more around town driving) has not changed.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,470 Posts
What brand are your non-winter tires and what tire pressure (cold) do you operate at.

Yes, the higher rolling resistance of your winter tires will reduce mileage (as well as everything else affected by cold, like thick oil, stiff grease in the wheel bearings, stiff tires.....cold air making computer adjust for richer mixture to compensate for increased air density)

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Your current gas mileage is to e expected with snow tires. As you mentioned, it was also worse with the all season tires. Since the time you put the snow tires on two weeks ago, has the gas mileage gotten even worse or is it still 31 mpg?

The reason I ask is I would expect with snow tires that it would be even lower now.

You don't say what part of the country you are in. Also, you can expect a change in mpg with a winter blend of gasoline, though I am not sure when that change would have taken place.

I think if the gas mileage is still the same after switching to snow tires, you are now comparing apples to oranges, and the only way to know what your true gas mileage is would be to put the all seasons back on and see if it goes back up. It is possible that you may not see a real increase in mpg until springtime when the summer blend of gasoline comes back out.

·
Banned
9,198 Posts
Daughter's new Kia Based Soul had her plugs gapped at 0.045" knocked those down to 30, what a difference for her. Couple of weeks ago, got water in my gas my north in my motorhome, don't ask me how we made it home, but we did.

Never got water in my gas from the busiest gas station in town, but always see variations in fuel economy from tank to tank. Never was this way with my 65 Buick Electra, drove that thing all over the country and would always get 20 mph, driving at 75 mph.

But that sure changed with Nixon dropping the speed limit down to 55, the best I could do was 17 mpg, that car was geared for 70. Really got drastic when they switched to leaded, leaded gas skyrocketed, but had a 70 Buick at that time, that I could convert to unleaded with parts from later cars.

Been a problem ever since those days, with the EPA with 155 different blends of gas, don't know what the hail you are buying. Can't also have pipeline mix ups, and the other reason why gas prices have skyrocketed.

Due to a pipeline repair, a short run, had to truck gas 15 miles, that shot the price up to $4.50 per gallon. Goes up, but never down. Never was a problem before the government got involved, sure is now. Winter gas is really terrible up here, instead of seeing 630 miles remaining after a fillup, more like in the 450 range. Do this because the emission control is worthless until it heats up, and in the winter time, may only add a minute or two to the warmup time, but sure getting screwed by this terrible gas since a lot of my driving is highway.

Just bend over and learn how to smile when getting it. EPA never has to provide proof of their laws, they just to it.

This is history now, but was using my vehicles a lot for business, could get a much better deduction with depreciation, service records, a huge pile of receipts, etc. but that was an invitation for a tax audit. So just went with the standard deduction, far simpler with a log and receipts I was paid for mileage.

Sure can't deduct any of this stuff for driving to work or to school, first is required to earn a couple of bucks, second is the law. So we are really getting screwed here.

Nobody complained when the gas tax increased from 2 cents to a nickel a gallon, for that extra 3 cents we got an entire interstate system. Today, with 55 cents a gallon, can't even fix a pothole, also talking about adding a tax for each wheel you have on the ground.

With flying, could buy avgas for 20 cents per gallon, wasn't taxed at all, same gas today is around $5.75 per gallon, claim limited production with a huge tax on it. Not keeping up anymore, but the EAA was trying to get car gas approved, but if they did, how many five gallon cans do you want to carry to the airport to fill it?

So you are complaining about 1 mpg?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.