Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2012 Cruze LT RS, 1.4L Turbo - Coolant temperature issue

179 3
I have a 2012 Cruze LT RS with a 1.4L Turbocharged engine.

Long version:
After having a coolant leak, several water system parts were replaced: Radiator inlet hose, surge tank hose, coolant water outlet, surge tank and coolant.

After that, I had a weird problem: The engine would get to normal operating temperature but then every several minutes I'd hear the radiator fan engaging at top speed, with the temp gauge rising by ~15 degrees Celsius after a few seconds, pausing and then dropping back to normal operating temp with fan disengaging after that.
I had the car towed and the mechanic replaced the water pump and the thermostat.

After that a new weird problem appeared: When driving in the city, the coolant temperature is rising very slowly, both seen on the temp gauge and using an OBD dongle with the Torque app. On the highway, driving at ~100 km/h, the temperature doesn't seem to go over 70 degrees Celsius. The problem is that even though the temperature of the coolant seems to be low, I suddenly got a message saying the engine is overheating and I pulled over right away. I had the car towed.

My mechanic replaced the coolant water outlet, even though it was recently replaced, stating it was faulty. The issue remained the same and a week after that, driving on the highway, once again the coolant's temperature remained pretty low and after several minutes I got a message saying the engine is overheating and the A/C was turned off. I pulled over right away and had the car towed again.
I opened the hood and the coolant hoses seemed warm bot not very hot, while the engine seemed to be very hot.
It seems as if the coolant isn't siphoning heat from the engine as it should...

My mechanic isn't sure what the problem is, saying that most of the cooling system got replaced already, except for the radiator. He suggested it might be a problem with the ECU.

Short version:
Coolant temperature rising very slowly, sometimes even dropping. When driving on the highway, temp is stabilizing at ~65-70 degrees Celsius and finally a message appears saying the engine is overheating, even though the coolant temp appears to be very low. Coolant hoses seem to be only warm while the engine is very hot.

Did anyone have this happen to them? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
Replace the engine temperature sensors and make sure the cooling system is bled of all air bubbles.

There is one temp sensor at the water outlet; there is another in the radiator. Here are the part numbers. Do not use aftermarket sensors.

Attachments

· Registered
Chevrolet Cruze 2012 LT RS, 1.4L Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the engine temperature sensors and make sure the cooling system is bled of all air bubbles.

There is one temp sensor at the water outlet; there is another in the radiator. Here are the part numbers. Do not use aftermarket sensors.
That's the direction I was leaning towards. I'll try that.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts