Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 Cruze LT with 1.4 Turbo engine that we have had numerous problems with the wiring getting chewed up by the squirrels. Now my wife just tried to drive it and the power steering is not working and it shows an error light on the dash. How should I attack this problem? I have a code reader but have not been out to read the error code yet. Are these a typical hydraulic pump and cylinder power steering or something different?

·
Registered
441 Posts
We have a 2012 Cruze LT with 1.4 Turbo engine that we have had numerous problems with the wiring getting chewed up by the squirrels. Now my wife just tried to drive it and the power steering is not working and it shows an error light on the dash. How should I attack this problem? I have a code reader but have not been out to read the error code yet. Are these a typical hydraulic pump and cylinder power steering or something different?
The Cruze uses electric power steering. It uses an electric motor mounted to the steering rack. Odds are you will have to have someone with a high level scan tool or the dealer read the code.

Some members would have issues with the power steering due to the negative battery cable issues the Cruze is known for. However, due to squirrels chewing your wires, I would be suspicious of that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the car jacked up now and getting ready to go look at the wiring. Is the steering unit a closed system and you have to replace the whole thing if it fails? Are there any common failure issues with the steering?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the car jacked up now and getting ready to go look at the wiring. Is the steering unit a closed system and you have to replace the whole thing if it fails? Are there any common failure issues with the steering?
It is indeed a closed system. The rack itself was designed by ZF. There don't seem to be common issues with them. Occasionally a sensor goes bad internally. GM does not service the rack, and would replace the entire rack.

I would recommend having the negative battery recall done if you haven't already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I took a hard look at all of the wiring attached to the steering motor, and sure enough, one of the wires was bit off by the squirrels again. My wife has started a process to eliminate the problem with a 12 gauge. And that isn't 12 gauge wiring.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
One issue I've had is if you connect the battery with the driver's door open, the steering system will throw an error. Simply disconnect the battery, close the door, and reconnect.

Strange, but it's happened to me multiple times on my car. Since not everyone seems to have that experience, it might only be certain versions of the programming code.

I've never tried to drive with the error displayed, so I don't know if it will clear itself in time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This car did not show an error code when I hooked up the scan tool. But the error light on the dash lit up showing some problem with the steering system. And it was obvious when driving the car that the power steering was not working. After I reconnected the bit off wire, when I reconnected the battery, everything worked normally with no error lights on the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts