Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help, I have a 2012 Cruze 1.8 Turbo, I had a leak coming from the coolant pipe where the hoses come together with a metal clip, I bought a new coolant pipe from the dealership, replaced it and it still leaks from the same spot, does anyone know why?

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
There's been a redesign on that connector. Specifically which hose connection is leaking?

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
If you are talking about a leak at the highest up clip that is shaped somewhat like a "U", you are probably missing an internal rubber o-ring, or a damaged o-ring. Check your old part carefully for a black rubber o-ring. I don't remember specifically for sure, but there might have been a total of two of them.

(edit, yes that's the one in your picture)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does the new design look like? or do you have the part number, I bought the new pipe two weeks ago, you might think they would have gave me the new design one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the new one, and it did have a black O ring in there, it just seems weird that Im having the same trouble with both pipes.

·
Administrator
25,604 Posts
The new design has a new connector on it. If you got a part with two connectors you should be good. Double check for the o-Ring as UpstateNYBill recommends and also check the clamps to ensure the hoses are fully inserted before you set the clamps.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you replaced this because it was leaking, was it broke? If so check and make sure you didn't a leave a piece from the bad piece in there. When mine was broken I had a piece still in there I had to get out with a screw driver.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Depends on the application, either use a bit of silicone grease on an O-ring or non-hardening Permatex. Putting them in dry causes them to bind.

Really dumb on the coolant reservoir or oil filter cap, putting the O-rings on the threads where than can bind if put in dry. More intelligent way is to seat them so that can be compressed like they do on canning jars with a rotating ring on that cap.

It wasn't too long ago, you would never find O'rings on a cooling, oil, or, MVAC system, engineers back then had common sense. Also the SAE had many articles on looking at the food industry for proper sealing and material, that aluminum pop can you pitch is made of far superior materials than what you will find in your heater, radiator, evaporator, or condenser cores.

And you wonder why you have problems?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Of course, everything has to be surgically clean so you get a good fit, really never considered myself to be a mechanic, a janitor is more like it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts