Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site so hopefully I did this right. I bought a 2012 Cruze 1.8L ecotec and it has 56,500 miles on it(absolutely love it) it's a manual transmission. When I start it in the morning, it cranks right up perfectly fine. But throughout the day, it rattles and makes a horrid sluggish/Stutter noise each time I crank it after the morning(but not every single time, which is weird). I've taken it back to Carmax(where I purchased it) and they took it to a Chevy dealership since it's still under warranty. Since then they've replaced: the starter, fusebox, driveshaft, taken apart the transmission and tightened the flywheel, put on another starter just in case it was faulty. It's been there for 3 weeks now and I don't know if I should just get over the noise(since it's not every time I crank it) or get another car. I have been to 3 places for this issue, one person said check the motor mounts, they said it was fine when I got them looked at, one person said it was just cause it's stickshift, and the dealership was my last resort, and it's still doing it after all they've replaced. I really want to know if I should just learn to get over it, I read on here that someone said theirs did it too and how a dealer said it was fine. If it's not gonna hurt it or anything I will just keep it. I also read that the oil might have been too thin, but I just really want to know if I should get it out of the shop and get over the noise, or if it's actually a serious issue, bought it used and the dealer said it was great(but they want me to buy it so obviously they said anything) thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Going strictly off the vague description (sound bite would help) but......those that have had a similar experience and description ended up having the dual mass flywheel replaced.

Similar in respect to the rattle did not occur with every start.

Seems the tension springs collapse and the rattle at some startups is the result.

Keep in touch.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much will it hurt the car? I will see if I can post a video but since it's still in a shop somewhere I haven't even seen the car in a month! They took a look at the flywheel to see if it has anything to do with it, they say it's not that, but I've heard a lot about a flywheel, and I'm not a mechanic, so I have absolutely no clue. I might take it to another dealership to have a second opinion though. But do you think it will hurt it(functionality wise) if I drive it anyways? I plan on getting it out tomorrow and wanted to be sure it won't blow up or anything, considering how it's not every single time I crank it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
It likely won't harm anything but I don't think anyone has let it get long term enough to find out.

I would pursue it.....but at a different dealer......it cannot be 'Checked' without pulling the trans.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the shop they pulled the transmission out and found no reason for it to make any noises. They're just as confused as I am. I'll probably take it to another dealership though cause this one has no clue what they're doing I feel like. But thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine recently makes rattling noises during startup, but same as yours, it doesn't do it all the time.

It started doing that after I had the spark plugs changed by the dealer together with the regular maintenance stuff.

After further investigation, I found the culprit to be the cover for the Ignition Coil (where "ECOTECH" is printed on). It was somewhat loose than usual, but not enough to make it come off on its own.

The Mechanic must have broken a clip or something. I haven't tried taking it off to see if a remedy/fix can be done to eliminate the rattling noise on startup.

Hope you get yours fixed.

Cheers!
phantom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never would have thought of that! I'm going to see it tomorrow to see our options, I'll definitely look into that since it worked for you! Thank you so much! I really hope that's all it was!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts