Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2012 cruze, trunk, wipers, hazards

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ChevyGuy 
#1 ·
Hello from Denver.
The Car:Chevy Cruze 2012 engine 1.8
Miles:as of today 23890
The problem:10/25/16 Started the car in the morning the cooling fan was running high.
Stopped the engine let it seat for couple hours. Drove the car to O'reily Auto parts store. Got a code P0597.
Thermostat stuck open (i guess better than to be closed).
Started the car up did some running around everything seemed to be ok.
This morning 10/26/16 i opened the passengers side door just put the key in the ignition and started the car.
The car started up and so the wipers,(one time) and the hazard lights, when i shut the engine down, the engine revved up 200 maybe 300 rpm as i was pulling the key of the ignition and the computer screen showed me the trunk was open and it was. Unless someone of you nice people who know way more than me tells me this is due to a computer, or some mechanical malfunction i will believe a ghost moved in to my cruze!!!
thank you!

#2 ·
Check your coolant level. Non-existent coolant will cause the thermostat to run open. The trunk opening is a known gremlin in the 2012s. If you need a dealership I recommend Ed Bozarth Lone Tree.

#3 ·
Hi Obermd
Thank you for your reply.Much appreciated.
I did go to the dealer i bought the car from they asked for $70 bucks to diagnose the car plus labor plus parts. now i understand they are in business to make money but my problem is i don't have the money right now.My cruze is seating in my garage with a dead battery . if i jump start it it will last about a day then the battery dies again. i stopped at auto parts store to test the battery the person told me my car was the third cruze for that day with the same problem. Also said the alternator and the starter passed the test. i'm trying to determent if my battery is going out because of age (4 years now but still pass the test) or is it cable issue as you posted or is it computer related. Again today as the car was dying the wipers went off one time, the hazards blinked a few times and the trunk opened. Should i invest in a new battery or let the car rest in my garage until i can get the money for the dealer.

Thank you and all the other people who offer advice.

#6 ·
mister chevy guy i just want you to know i took your advice. i got a new battery i put it on my self.cost my $140.00 with a dex-cool coolant. my problems with the cruze are gone. it is very nice to know my daughter is going from a to b with confidence. Also i want to thank obermd that pointed out the low coolant. America is great i don't need no politician to tell me that.Thank you Again.

#5 ·
Hi ChevyGuy
thanks for your reply
i'm not sure if they have different ways to check the battery at O'reily Auto parts store but the guy came with a small computer on his hands hooked it to the battery telling me that the voltage or the amps was good. Also alternator and starter.
Is there a code on the computer for the battery's health or not. If it is that would be helpful.
Thanks Again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.