Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems for awhile now and I'm hoping someone might be able to confirm my suspicions. For the past number of months I've been hearing a strange faint squeaking/rattling noise when accelerating (at any speed). The noise isn't super loud but I can hear it even with the windows up and the radio on if I really listen for it).

Maybe related to the same issue, I've been hearing a rattling noise when coasting at somewhat lower speeds (seems to be most noticeable between 20-30mph)...the best way I can describe the sound is like a baseball card in bike spokes...kind of a rapid rattle/clicking noise. As I continue to coast and slow down and the car downshifts the noise goes away. I really can't hear it in the cabin, but only on quiet streets going past buildings or parked cars.

The car has been running alright, but there are times were it feels a bit sluggish and my gas milage seems to be going down. I did take it in to the dealership when i first started hearing the noises, but they weren't able to hear it so they didn't look any further. The reason I mentioned the turbo is I remember reading something awhile back on cruzetalk where someone else mentioned a similar sound and I believe it had something to do with the turbo or the wastegate. I've been doing a little research have seen some issues with other vehicles developing a rattle because of the wastegate actuator/linkage. I may be calling things the wrong name but I was able able move the bar between the actuator and the turbo and it felt a little loose and did rattle, but I'm not sure if it is normal for that to move and rattle or if it should be tight and solid....and if it isn't suppose to be loose could that cause the issues I described?

Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,546 Posts
The wastegate rattle you probably saw on the forum is a Gen 2 Cruze (2016+ with the new 1.4L) issue.

That said, I haven't heard of any noise associated with the failure on a Gen 1 turbo, BUT the wastegate pivot pin wearing out and leading to a P0299 turbo underboost code is relatively common as they get close to 100K on the clock. Other rattle things that come to mind on the Gen 1 are A/C lines (mostly on acceleration ~2500 RPM) and just a loose heat shield.

Without a flagged CEL or code stored, random power loss can be difficult to track down. If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to replace spark plugs and give the coil pack a look over - the coil packs are also known for crapping out with age. If it's your first time removing it, be very gently and pull straight up - do not wiggle it loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm hesitant to take it back to the dealership since they didn't seem into doing anything last time...I should probably find another shop to stop at. I replaced the plugs recently but everything was happening prior to that. Thanks for the suggestion about the A/C lines and heat shield...I'll have to do some digging around to make sure there isn't anything loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts