Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Cruze with 1.4. For the last year or so my Cruze has had a brake issue. After I first start it and back out of the driveway it would sometimes take a lot of braking effort to stop it. After the first couple times pressing the pedal it would be fine. It is now doing it more often and I need to get it fixed before it causes an accident. Any ideas what the issue is? I have heard of a brake recall but my VIN is not under that recall. I refuse to pay a Chevy dealer $100/hr to fix this. If it's not something I can replace myself I will trade the car off.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
This has been happening the last year? You don't want to spend money to repair it, why in fact you refuse it!

*Turning or replacing rotors, all other services, and tax extra. Excludes Corvette and other select vehicles.
Retail customers only. See participating U.S. dealer for eligible vehicles and details.
°°°To the original retail purchaser. See dealer for details.
±Turning or replacing rotors, all other services, and tax extra. Excludes Brembo® and high-performance pads.
Retail customers only. See participating U.S. dealer for eligible vehicles and details.

ACDelco PROFESSIONAL
BRAKE PADS INSTALLED

$99.95*OR LESS PER AXLE

12-month/unlimited-miles limited warranty.°°°

CADILLAC MODELS: GM Original Equipment Brake Pads $169.95± or less per axle.
Includes rotor inspection. Learn more about brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It used to happen very infrequently so I dismissed it. Now that it is happening more often it needs to be addressed. I'm not super impressed with this car so instead of spending big money on Chevy's overpriced service techs I will trade the car off if I can't fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Your Cruze, if an automatic, absolutely had/has a recall for this specific situation.

It called for replacement of the switch that energizes the electric vacuum pump that provides additional vacuum to the power brake booster.

If your information came from a Chevy (or any other GM dealer for that matter) dealer I would recommend avoiding them.

Anyways, select another dealer and stop by with your vin#......they can make a printout that shows open recalls, and current warranty extensions.

It is possible the vacuum motor is failing, but the switch replacement, recall or not, is the first step.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Have you had the brake fluid changed yet? DOT3 fluid attracts water which reduces braking consistency. You should replace the brake fluid every 3 (humid climate) to 5 (dry climate) years or 45K miles as part of your routine maintenance. Use the 2014 to 2016 Limited owners manual for the correct service schedule, even for the 2012 Cruze.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't go yet with replacing this and that. Visit _another_ dealer and let them run some diagnostics on the brakes (it should not be that expensive). Then you decide based on what the outcome is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.