Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is in right sub forum.. I believe my 2012 Cruze key fob battery is dead. I tried to start my car today and anti theft came on dashboard. When I try to lock or unlock my doors or open trunk with key fob nothing happens.. my question is would replacing my key fob battery mean I would have to reprogram the key to the Cruze? Thanks for all and any help

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
966 Posts
Hope this is in right sub forum.. I believe my 2012 Cruze key fob battery is dead. I tried to start my car today and anti theft came on dashboard. When I try to lock or unlock my doors or open trunk with key fob nothing happens.. my question is would replacing my key fob battery mean I would have to reprogram the key to the Cruze? Thanks for all and any help
No it will stay programmed.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
966 Posts
Honestly not sure, but I don’t think so. I would lean towards something with the electrical system or battery. Maybe the negative ground cable.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks for reply! Do you think that might the issue?
If I'm not mistaken, the fobs transmit a rotating (recurring) code. With the battery change, you may need to hold the button down until the receiver (in the car) catches up with the transmitter. That is, with the battery change, the transmitter started over at the top of the list, and the receiver has to get back in sync, and find the position on the list so that it knows which code is coming next.

If that's not it, the other thing to check is the battery in the fobs. As I recall, it's possible to put them in upside down. So check that, too. Maybe check that first.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update so I replaced battery in fob and nothing happened can’t unlock doors, open trunk or set off panic alarm.. any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also wondering if key fob loss signal to car somehow? Would I be able to reprogram it myself? I have only 1 key and that’s the one not workkng

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're sure you've got the right replacement battery and you put it in correctly, the battery might not have been the issue in the first place. Though, what you describe sounds like that is the most likely issue, so it was a correct first step.
There is no chance of it being 'deprogrammed' but it's possible that the whole fob is dead. If it got wet or dirty, you might be able to bring it back with a gentle cleaning of the circuit board and battery contacts with isopropyl alcohol to safely remove any debris or residue which could be bridging or shorting the contacts.
Next step would be to replace the fob. There are a number of sites which sell used fobs for a lot less than the dealership will charge. Just be certain to get a replacement with the correct FCC ID and chipset for your VIN. There will be different FCC ID's and chipsets within the same model/year based on trim and which factory your VIN came out of, so this is an important thing to clarify. Then you'll need to take it to a locksmith to program to your VIN.
There could be something else causing it, like a chipmunk chewed all your wires or something, but this is the most likely issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. So Fob was dead. GM quoted 260 to program 2 keys plus 165 for 2 new fobs.. Triple a sent locksmith who charged 250 for keys plus programming.. Thanks for all the help and advice I was given!

·
Registered
9 Posts
No just replace the battery with another 2032. No programming necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No once its program you're fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts