Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my cruze for 2 and a half weeks.... Twice now it's done something odd on start.
I turn the key, it feels like the starter hesitates, the wipers engage a single time, and the dash display resets to the digital speedometer. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
3 things come to mind: either your starter is going bad, your battery has a bad cell, or you have a bad battery ground cable. Speaking of battery there is a chance your alternator isn't charging said battery. O'reilly's can test it free of charge.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Try this turn the wipers to off before you turn your car off , when restarting just tap the ignition slightly . Wait for IT to start observe your instrument cluster .. Report back your findings ..

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
The instrument cluster resetting is normal , the wipers sweeping is not . Keep us posted if any other peculiar activity occurs .

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Look up things to know about the cruze . Here on this sight .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update : so I turned the key to on, let it go thru self check, then went to start it. It failed to turn over so I turned the key again... It started, and reset my display to mph again. This is after a 15 min city drive. Battery voltage read 12.8...... Bad starter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually ive been doign a ot of googleing now that im home.. it looks like the crappy battery chevy puts in, coupled with the "variable charge alternator" kills the factory batteries a lot faster than other batteries and other cars... which would make sense by the fact that after a long drive [when its had time to charge the battery] everything is fine.. but a short drive around town and it has an issue starting.. everythig ive read says they seem to die after about 2 years.. mines a 2012, so.. yea

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Well Dawg I guess you get to add this 1 ..

Reactions: bscabl

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Had my cruze for 2 and a half weeks.... Twice now it's done something odd on start.
I turn the key, it feels like the starter hesitates, the wipers engage a single time, and the dash display resets to the digital speedometer. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!
How many miles do you have, bscabl? If you're still within the 36k mile parameter for the bumper to bumper, you should definitely get into the dealership to have them run diagnostics. If you'd like to send us your VIN, exact mileage and dealership name we can set this up for you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How many miles do you have, bscabl? If you're still within the 36k mile parameter for the bumper to bumper, you should definitely get into the dealership to have them run diagnostics. If you'd like to send us your VIN, exact mileage and dealership name we can set this up for you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
56k :/ [first owner apparently liked to drive.. a lot :(] and even if my dealer [with the 2 month, 3000 mile then you own it warranty] WILL cover the battery, theyre in CT, im in NY.. they wont be able to duplicate it.. cuz the battery will charge on the drive.. unless i camp out there for an entire day .. but i dont know if they will, because its well.. to be blunt.. an old @$$ battery [2 years and some change]

#sigh
:(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so car passed all tests. so i took it to DeNooyer Chevrolet, who are willing to run a deeper diagnostic....next week sometime.. for $100... as i was leaving them, car failed to start again, this time with a bunnnnch of issues, radio ejected cd and turned on, service theft deterrent message.. dashboard was a Christmas tree.. and this was after a highway drive.. so my old theory of the short millage battery issue is shot. took key out put key in and it started.
im thinking i have a bad ground, or a cpu issue. called my dealer.. theyre going to barely cover anything that isnt "safety" related.. but said if Chevy diagnostic proves safety related theyll cover it and repay me the diag fee.
so now i guess i need to make an appointment and pay $100 to have chevy plug it into their computers and prey it turns out to be covered. AND hope it doesnt get worse before then..otherwise im screwed. i work too far away to realistically get there without my car.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
so car passed all tests. so i took it to DeNooyer Chevrolet, who are willing to run a deeper diagnostic....next week sometime.. for $100... as i was leaving them, car failed to start again, this time with a bunnnnch of issues, radio ejected cd and turned on, service theft deterrent message.. dashboard was a Christmas tree.. and this was after a highway drive.. so my old theory of the short millage battery issue is shot. took key out put key in and it started.
im thinking i have a bad ground, or a cpu issue. called my dealer.. theyre going to barely cover anything that isnt "safety" related.. but said if Chevy diagnostic proves safety related theyll cover it and repay me the diag fee.
so now i guess i need to make an appointment and pay $100 to have chevy plug it into their computers and prey it turns out to be covered. AND hope it doesnt get worse before then..otherwise im screwed. i work too far away to realistically get there without my car.
Hey bscabl,

I am truly sorry for these reoccurring issues with your Cruze. Please feel free to send us a PM if you have any other questions or need further assistance with anything. We will be sure to be on the look-out for any updates that you may have from the dealership regarding the coverage or if a repair was done.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
updates:

since i cant even begin to think about bringing it back till middle of next week ive been doing some troubleshooting and googleing on my own in the meantime.

when it first gave the problem, the battery voltage was 12.8 and was fluctuating heavily.. today it was 14-14.1 and rock solid.. never dropped below 14. [no ac on, only using radio turned down low]

so, whats the "normal" voltage for the 2012 LT , i read in a couple forums its -supposed- to hover around the 14~ range.. and want to know if thats correct, because if it is, then the 12.8 the other day sheds some more light on the issue.

after the last failed start.. to rule out ignition ive been remote starting it.. thus far thats working.. but ive only driven it twice so ill have more to go on as i drive it more. [considering it didnt act up for nearly 3 weeks before this started]

it passed the battery test from advance..but we all know sometimes a failing battery -can- pass a computer check if its not completely failed yet..

so far i have it narrowed to 1 of a few options, just based on trial and error and knowing a little about cars.

- battery [still seems like a power issue to me.. ]
- shorted wire/ground someplace [after the last time, and googleing i did move some wires around the fuse panel and battery to check them for obvious wear, so if its a short.. that could have effected the good behavior ive gotten today]
- ignition [tho im not sure im behind this one.. thooo i guess if the keyfob is flaking out itll remote start fine and then let me drive it.. so i guess theres a slight chance]

assuming its not the ignition [or more importantly, the keyfob] and judging by the overwhelming % of similar issues on nhtsa's website, im guessing this is originating as a heat degrade issue.. since the engine compartment in a cruze is warmer than a lot of cars due to all the sound dampening and such they put in there, im speculating that after 35-60k miles [big range i know.. but most reported were closer to my 56k] something, is simply too hot in there, and messing with a harness, or the battery [battery dying after 2-2.5 years is common on these also according to these forums]

anyways, thats all i got 24 hours later.. i think im on the right track.. so ill go out to CT later this week and have them diag it, and hopefully, find the issue and fix it..

ill post any updates as they happen.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.